Building the duck barge

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by sheboyganjohn, Sep 12, 2017.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Pretty neat to take an idea, modify it heavily and have the time, desire and ability to come out with the product you wanted. I was wondering what the final cost difference would be if one were to use sheet metal rather than wood?

2. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn Refuge Member

From what I have seen on boat building sites, if you have all the metal working tools and a good supplier for the metal, it is not more then 50% more on materials from what I remember. For me it was cheap since I got the wood from a business closing auction. In total, minus the motor, I think I have about $2K into it counting the trailer.

3. sheboyganjohn

Next video is glassing up the hull.

callinfowl likes this.
  4. sheboyganjohn

Next one up is modifying a V-hull trailer to use with the flat bottom boat. I overbunked the trailer and it is a bear getting the boat on and off. I have a set of roller bunks I will install, hopefully this year. I will still need a bit of flat bunk up front in the trailer but not as much as I put on.

callinfowl likes this.
  5. sheboyganjohn

Painting the hull. I had a heck of a time with the sprayer during the painting process. Started a bit on the hull and spread to the topside. Latter found out my vent on the hopper was plugged so it would not gravity feed into the spray gun. At least I know to check the vent next time.

callinfowl likes this.
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Sweet I ran a GoDevil Duck Island Barge several times.
    I loved hunting out of that rig but hated driving the twin longtails standing out on the back deck, talk about dangerous. It was like wrestling two alligators when you got into tight spots. Make sure to wear a belt with a tether clipped off to the blind and the kill switches. Did you add foam to the sides? the best thing about the G.D Barge is the whole barge part is 100% foam filled. What motor do you plan on running?
    The twin 27 hp G.D. longtails were almost underpowered. It would get up on plane and run about 20 mph before it was brushed, throw in the brush decoys, a few guys and hunting gear and it would take forever to plane out and top speed was about 12 to 15 mph. I'm sure your barge is going to weigh at least 1 1/2 to 2 times what the aluminum G.D. barge weighs, so you are going to need more power.
    Honestly, I thought about buying the G.D. barge when the guy was selling it.
    I would have put either a 115hp outboard on a jack plate on it with remote steering from inside the cockpit or a pumped up short tail mud motor with remote steer inside the cockpit.

Your build is amazing, what a bitch'in project you chose to tackle, major props for taking on such a badass build.:tu:bow:tu:bow
    How does she run loaded down?
    The G.D. barge is a bumpy but very sea worthy design, I've ran that boat in the CA Delta and SF bays through 3 to 5er's and 20 mph winds not fun, but knowing that GD barge is unsinkable gave you bigger balls than normal, because it was such a seaworthy and safe design.
    I hope yours works out for you as well as the original GD barge worked out for us.
    I've ran that thing through some super thick Tule marsh trails that were half the width of the barge, it wasn't fun but it made it. Think about adding a Harbor Fright winch, or a chainsaw winch that you can hook to the front or back of the barge, keep a few long 2x4''s to drive into the mud or wedge behind catail or tule patches to use as winching anchors and you got it dialed. Because when you stick these things they aren't easy to get unstuck.

Once again what a badass boat/blind build, your craftmanship is amazing.:clap:bow:clap:bow:yes:tu

7. sheboyganjohn

Right now I am running my old 16hp mudbuddy on it. I have a 27 hp Kohler engine that I am replacing the 16 hp engine with. With three guys, the dog, and gear we were doing about 8 mph. With the same load in my 14' jon boat I did about 10mph. The difference is no one could breath in the jon boat when we were running or something would fall out since it was loaded to the gills. Still a ton of room in the barge. The longest run I have is 3 miles on the marsh so its not that big of deal going slow. I would guess I should get up to about 12mph with the 27.

I like the idea with the winch. Never thought of that.

As I add the videos you will see it is double hulled and foam filled, loose foam, but still foam filled. The blind is sealed up 6" to the deck and the doors have 4" step overs on them so you could sink the whole main hull and still have some space to spare. Have stood 3 people and the dog all on the same side picking up decoys and the gunnel was still out of the water.

Most of the ply I used in the boat is lite ply. it is 30% lighter then traditional ply. Not something you find in the store. I had bought a ton of stuff from Palmer Johnson Yachts closing auction, and the lite ply was in a stack of wood I bought. I did the calculations and the bare boat should be right around 1000 lbs. Figure 1200 the worst. The GD duck barge is listed at 900 something so it is not that much heavier.

As of right now, I would not trade it for anything. It's a bit of a handful when I am hunting by myself, but still would not trade it.

With the dog begin 10 this year and not looking at another dog when he is gone, I am going to build one of the small hybrid boats to get downed birds so I don't have to pull the boat out each time.

callinfowl likes this.
  8. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Very, very cool. I am enjoying the build. We built our blind on a 16' X 8' pontoon, we love it.

9. sheboyganjohn

Always wanted a pontoon blind. But I would have built one on a 20' or 24' toon going big for the 'island' look. Saw an article many moons ago in Wildfowler about a pontoon blind that was used up on Green Bay for divers. Just don't have the space for another 20'+ boat.

I will be a slight bit before I post up more videos to the thread. Cracked the screen on my laptop at home. Guess 6 or so years is about good on a $400 laptop that has been knocked to the ground and dropped a few too many times by teenagers and dogs. Well at least with replacing it I will have a computer with all its keys again. Just not looking forward to the swap over of all the data from the hard drive. Not to mention all the programs that licenses on them that I most likely will not be able to get over to the new computer.

10. sheboyganjohn

Got the new computer. Now I just need to get files transferred. Clear all the useless crap off that comes with the computer and last, but the biggest pain, get use to Windows 10. I use 7 at work and I think it was 7, may have been Vista, at home. I am hoping to start posting more videos up by early next week. Once I get Outlook set up on the new computer and get all my e-mails transferred I will start feeling better about it.

jthomp01 likes this.