California's Lead ammo ban in effect July 1st

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by JDK, May 15, 2019.

1. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator

California's lead ammo ban in effect July 1

Share this article

[​IMG]

Photo credit: Brady J. Miller
    As of July 1, 2019, lead ammunition will no longer be legal in California. This ban applies to all hunting (including public and private land), all wildlife (game birds, nongame birds and mammals) and all firearms (rifles, shotguns, pistols and muzzleloader) “in any gauge or caliber for the take of any legal species,” according to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW). This ban, which was signed into law in October 2013, makes California the first state to require nonlead ammunition for all firearms-related hunting.

However, a report conducted by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) found that the implementation of the ban could impact the price of nonlead ammunition and could possibly result in fewer hunters or, at least, less frequent hunting, which could hurt the California economy. In fact, as goHUNT previously reported, NSSF found that higher ammunition prices will drive 36% of California hunters to stop hunting or reduce their overall participation and that nonlead centerfire rounds would jump 284%, rimfire rounds by 294% and shotshells by 387%. U.S. manufacturers of nonlead ammunition would have to increase production by 432% just to meet current demands.

Regardless, the ban is in place and hunters are strongly recommended to “acquire and practice with nonlead ammunition” prior to heading afield. The ban also applies to any nongame birds or mammals and anyone using firearms for property management (aka depredation to take species causing property damage). CDFW holds the right to inspect all ammunition and warns hunters to be careful when buying out-of-state nonlead hunting ammunition.

The ban does not apply to pellet rifles since they “are not classified as firearms,” according to CDFW. Lead ammunition is permitted for target shooting where it is legal to do so.

2. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

So over 1/3 of hunters will quit hunting because of the cost of ammo?

I guess it also says reduced participation. Seems a little off. Most hunting isn't high volume shooting. Cost of ammo is a pretty small part of it overall.

Ammo performance is a different subject tho. I don't see how you can get copper to perform at the lower velocities you see in muzzleloaders and handguns. But I haven't messed with it very much.

3. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

Barnes copper bullets are my first choice in my .50 caliber Encore muzzle loader. Accurate and deadly!

4. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Is that a muzzleloader specific bullet? How do recovered bullets look? I have recovered several bullets out of whitetail that you couldn't even tell had been fired. These were handgun bullets used in a muzzleloader. Now I'm using Hornady sst's in both my smokeless 45 and regular 50 Cal. Seeing much improved performance. Mushrooms, around 75-85% weight retention, of course don't recover every bullet. But find several right under the skin opposite side. Plus we shoot a lot of does with muzzleloaders. So it a target rich season.

5. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

Attached Files:

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  6. Hugatree

Hugatree Elite Refuge Member

California is FUBAR.