Call advice?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Boot, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Senior Refuge Member

My golf coach in high school said mine were the size of meat hooks.

2. Zach.in.Nampa

Zach.in.Nampa Refuge Member

Whose? I'm 6'5'' and most XL gloves barely fit right, usually a little tight.

3. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Echo single or double reed Timber has a big following as a good starter call.

4. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

^^^^^^this^^^^^^ !!

5. Zach.in.Nampa

I've heard a lot of good things about echo calls, but have never put air through one myself, might be time for a trip to cabelas/sportsmans..... 3 mallard calls isn't too many on a lanyard is it? lol

6. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Refuge Member

An Echo single or double Timber is a sweet first call, makes it very easy and sounds great. I would say go for a single in cocobolo and you will be a very happy camper, but if you want to grow from there, I highly recommend Carlson’s A to Z instructional CD with their equalizer. I say the equalizer because it’s capable of making the sounds the instructional CD teaches, you will learn techniques which you can apply when blowing different calls and will teach you how to distinguish the capabilities of different calls. It will also enable you to practice with purpose.

California Flyway likes this.
  7. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Senior Refuge Member

Echo wood and poly double is is just a great call for anybody almost anywhere . Ducks seem to like em...they are forgiving for new folks and experienced callers I believe have won the world live duck comp on it many times.

8. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Many a call maker has used Echo inserts in their calls because just like that without having to develop from scratch your own tone board you have a nice sounding call.
    The Keith Allen calling instruction CD is a good one.

9. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

How about, get the wood duck call like your SIL is using?

Also, don't blow the duck call while driving. Sure, put it in the glove box so you have it with you. But blowing in the truck distracts your driving, you get no true sounds with that windshield being in your face, you don't really pay attention to the call and you screw up your ears. And before someone tells me about a feed chatter, that doesn't take much and really isn't all that important while hunting.

Keith Allen cd is a good one. Carlson is excellent. Mallard call? Lots to choose from above postings.

10. Zach.in.Nampa

Never had a problem calling in the car, never any accidents or even close calls, it's up to you whether you want to it not, your judgment if you think it's safe. And the glass never bothered me either. Again, might just be personal preference. Same for the chatter. I find it very useful when finishing or late in the season with call shy birds. I definitely would not keep the call in the car outside of fall or spring weather. If it gets too hot it can warp the call or reeds(s) and sometimes the call itself. Even wood will expand and contract in too hot or too cold weather.