call for ringnecks/blackjacks

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Used search function and nothing...I know this has probably been discussed before but curious what call might be used successfully outside of Florida? Ringers can be termed somewhat call shy but a burl-burl on my Faulks or custom cut down single reed call usually can turn them at times, though I am a spare caller. Too many here overcall using mallard highballing and the like. Two years ago bought a Haydels diver call which is ok, but somewhat muted as I need volume in the big marsh.

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I honk with my mouth. It works on pretty much all divers. Also can be like crack to greenwings.

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I bought a flex tone diver call, has good sound and easy to work but most often I just make diver sounds with a Haydels DR-85 that I re tuned.

4. Glades Ranger

Thanks. I want you to realize that ringers are 98% of my kills, and I figure in most other areas they are somewhat of an afterthought or thought unworthy. I never tire of their antics, do get them to decoy, but admit they can be both easy targets and fast maneuvering devils that confound you. Billy Bob, I have the same Haydels call- I have taken out the insert and it is louder but mostly use the cut down call that is louder.
    It was real positive to read a report last year, citing a steady or rising population of these ducks. I do use a handful of "exotic" (non-ringer) decoys for those rare moments a redhead or pintail lights in, but it is mostly ringer blocks (coots are absent here). Just like the resident Osceola turkeys, less calling is better with ringers. I will call well ahead of an anticipated pass, and then only call again after they have made their pass; it is a joy to see one of their squadrons bank and 180 back to my decoys. They are nervy, no doubt from being shot at all the way down from Canada, so I have to hide well...it really becomes a hunt at the end of the season.

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Now you have me dreaming of later December ringnecks. I sure wish we got more ringers here. They really spread out so I wait for a stretch of freezing temps that freeze up most of the areas they use and they concentrate in open pockets so I only get maybe 10 hunts for them in a season. In those conditions ringers are the only duck that I can think of. My favorite place to shoot them is a slough off a river that has an open pocket at each end and a bottle neck between them, they fly up that slough and do a figure 8. Pass shooting them in the bottle neck at 20 yards or less is a hoot! I call as soon as I see or hear them and then again soon as they pass. They really respond to the call well, well enough that sometimes I don't use decoys in that slough. They act like a totally different bird in an open marsh I hunt and I have to work much harder for them there. A great change from blasting wigeon, teal and mallards every hunt and they're just as good on the table.

6. Glades Ranger

Sounds like a great spot! Glad you appreciate them like I do. Have some marinating to make poppers on the grill!

7. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

Back when Olt was in business they had a diver call. DJ's may still make it. As a rule with most of the ring necks we shoot no call needed.

Mayes

8. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

The first duck hunt I ever went on was at Reelfoot Lake in TN and the blind walls were made of corrugated metal. After the first pass, the guide would run his fingernails up and down the blind wall and the ringers would most often turn on a dime and make another run. I was impressed.

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I am not a spare caller. And to get ringnecks to detour from their favored routes well away from my isolated marsh pothole, I burr very aggressively on a loud MVP or Daisy Cutter. Works pretty well for us, especially when I've the presence of mind to kill the spinner first.

creedsduckman likes this.
  10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Me, too. Love it.