call for ringnecks/blackjacks

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

mmayes, found a listing for an "old style D-2" call on DJ's site for 44.95$. Is this the model you recommended?

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Yep that works too. Ringnecks and blackheads.

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Mention of scaup's susceptibility to calling made me think of this entry form last season's log:

4. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

Glades, I thought the D-2 was just a regular mallard call. If my feeble memory serves me the Olt Diver call had a way to set it for each diver sound (Cans, Redhead, Blue Bill, ETC)

Mayes

5. Glades Ranger

Mayes, found that variable "olt style" call, listing for 67$....any reviews on the Mick Lacy diver call? Saw a short video and it sounded a good "burl-burl" and only 19$.

mmayes likes this.
  6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I know you're looking for a real diver call but check out the Haydels "Stout-14" mallard call, similar to a DR-85. I have the old version of it called BB-95 (big barrel) and it is LOUD, too loud for puddle ducks. It's $24.99

7. Glades Ranger

Will do, Billy Bob! I think, because they are affordable, I will end up getting all the "diver" calls out there...locals here say their mallard calls suffice but I want to get as close as possible to the real thing, or at least try. I deem it being fortunate that I kind still find space to call at all, without being drowned out by an airboat or rallying ones (illegal). Too many still use the mallard highball cadence, but it just does not sound right for ringers.

8. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I'm not putting them down, but if I lived in florida, and my bag was 98% ringers, I'd trade my shotgun in on some quality fishing gear.

9. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

Black Jacks get a bad rap. I enjoy shooting them around home and they are not that bad to eat.

Mayes

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Be thankful most still use the mallard highball because that lets you sound different from the other spreads. Back in the early 90's I was one of few that used a wigeon whistle in my area and boy was it deadly...until it caught on and gained popularity. Now the wigeon almost totally ignore it and the best call for them is one you leave at home. After that lesson I rarely use a call for anything other than geese and scaup and ringers.