call for ringnecks/blackjacks

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Jun 9, 2018.

1. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I'll shoot them in the timber. but if that was my only choice, Florida offers some great spices of fish that I'd prefer to target.

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

You can fish for something anytime. Duck season is fleeting.

Meach and mmayes like this.
  3. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

I get where you are coming from but like Rick said you can fish anytime. Never shot them in timber only puddle ducks there. When the do it its is all out and an awesome sight to watch when its a big bunch

Mayes

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I've shot plenty of them. I used to hunt the Mississippi River in Missouri. Around here Ringnecks are pretty easy to decoy. Back in 2001, I hosted a Delta Waterfowl Dream Hunt, and the first day we shot 12 mallards, and 6 ringers. The next day, I think we shot 18 ringers. I suppose the guys that I guided preferred the first day's hunt. It was fun either way. around here Ringnecks eat about the same as a mallard.

Looking back through my picks, I could only find one with RN's in the timber, but they can be fairly common.

blackducks_zps12be7b0f (1).jpg

mmayes likes this.
  5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

In my area I have found ringnecks to consistently have a good flavor where as mallards and some other ducks are hit and miss, you may get one that tastes like mud, one that tastes like fish or clams and once in a while you get a good one. The average mallard isn't as good as a ringer here. In fact in certain areas I totally avoid shooting mallards, I never avoid ringers. :z Ringers are about the on the same level as pintails and wigeon here with greenwings being the best. When they have that nice layer of white fat on them....YUM.

6. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

Here in Western KY we get plenty of Blackjacks during the season and sometimes that's all that's around. I love them when I can get kids that are just starting out on a jack shoot its usually a barrel burner and they have a great time. Over the years I have shot plenty of Mallards and still like shooting them but will take the jacks over them for a quick shoot with challenging shots.

Mayes

Billy Bob likes this.
  7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

One of the most dramatic migrations I've witnessed was ringers. I saw close to 5 thousand in groups of 50 to 250 fly directly over me one morning. There was not another specie in the flights, just ringers. No one on the lake got any shooting on them, apparently they just kept on heading south. It was neat to see though.

Fowler267 and Irish eyes like this.
  8. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Good to hear the praise for ringers as table fare and for wing shooting, I wholeheartedly agree with both. The few teal and wood ducks I get here are a bit better. Never had a bad tasting ringer though, can't say the same for scaup. Over the years it is usually praise or damnation for Aythya collaris. There are still some who say they won't decoy or respond to calling- they are wrong of course! I am renewed each year by their mass arrival in November, Amen!

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Wiling away some of the preseason wait rereading last season's log and came across a jack photo taken after a rare-for-us west wind shifted their flight to my end of our marsh and we'd shot a mess and were waiting on something else to show:
    030.JPG

Lot of folks call them "butterballs" here, because they look so pretty and are so tasty on the table. Photo's not the best but did a lot more put me in mind of it than reading about that morning.

10. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

We get a few on the east coast, which we had more, beautiful duck and great on the table. Just burr call into a mallard call just like for all divers and they'll give you a look. They are quicker than blue bills and can fly circles around them. Usually hear the roar before you see them.