call for ringnecks/blackjacks

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Little Ruddy, I'd also like to think they are a bit smarter than scaup too! Ha, but they also many times commit too easily- and you wonder how they made it down this far south the flyway unscathed- but Gunner's migration observation explains that in large measure...I just found an old call in my arsenal that I had ignored- it is very guttural sounding- and that is what I am looking for, to try and sound like the real thing, but you are right that most times you can get away with any mallard call. From my 37 year experiences in the southernmost marshes of the continental U.S. (not a boast, hoping it is a fact), the drake ringer is usually more vocal. That staccato burl/burl can be assessed as both a "here I am", "follow me" or "danger, be careful", so I am very selective when using it. Many of you will agree that your particular decoy spread, motion decoy, or encouraging your buddy to stand up and relieve himself are perhaps more of a guarantee to bring them in. Your are dang right about hearing the wind shearing sonic boom before you see them- if they are riding the breeze I let them pass and their return arc is much slower and so a bit of patience usually leads to more clean kills.

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Here along the freshwater edge of the Southwest Louisiana coastal marsh (like most places, I'd think), much seems to depend on where and how you set up. When I was hunting flooded ag fields, ringnecks would almost invariably try to sit with a half dozen jack decoys set a bit apart from my puddlers. Pretty much a sure thing. But in the fresh marsh I now primarily hunt, which holds a lot of ringnecks in its more open or broken portions, they'll almost never try to finish in my small pothole, regardless of how many plastic jacks I stocked it with - while our much rarer scaup, cans and redheads routinely drop right in with whatever I have out. Our bigger water blinds do much better with them, especially by shutting off their spinners once the new wears off that trick.

We still shoot a fair number of jacks pulled from their favored routes with harsh burring on a mallard call and, I think, somewhat attracted to a Mallard Machine I've modified to splash, rather than just dip. But virtually all are just giving us a look, rather than trying to plop in.

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

0114131158a.jpg

Found this pic of the aftermath of a day in the favorite ringer hole I talked about earlier. Not a perfect ringer limit but 12 ringers, 1 goldeneye and one buffy that got misidentified for a goldeneye at first light. :l

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

0110171229.jpg

5. Patodor

Patodor Senior Refuge Member

That spread looks like every group of blackjacks that’s ever dicked around just out of range from any public spot I’ve hunted. Well done.

6. SCREENER

SCREENER Senior Refuge Member

what you are looking for is a Hansons "Broadbill" duck call.check e bay they started in 1913 and ended in 1970.No better call ever made for calling divers.the market hunters in my area used them for half a century.

7. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

Screener didn’t you used to make a replica of the Hanson’s Broadbill? I believe I got one from you years back and I have an original also.

8. SCREENER

SCREENER Senior Refuge Member

I did way back when.Before BC {before children} Gone are the days of calling 500 scaup into the decoys in a morning.I posted a you tube vid on screening taken in the 60"s Shot in super 8 then Grainie but you get the idea.

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Found the video but was disappointed by not getting to hear the call. Quite curious how it might outshine burring on a mallard call.

NWRINGNECK likes this.
  10. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

Not sure it outshines any other call. I bought an original Hanson and a Screener repo. because I liked the style and history. If your Mallard call works for you that’s great. I actually used a Haydel “red leg?” with the most success and I actually never used either one of the Hanson style calls in the field much. In fact I’ve had limited success calling divers with any call but I remember the times it turned them and was fun but ..... I remember more times they ignored me.

All this comes from a guy that can’t call Mallards so take it for what it’s worth...not much. :))