call for ringnecks/blackjacks

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Jun 9, 2018.

1. SCREENER

SCREENER Senior Refuge Member

all our diver shooting was done on the Great Lakes.Large bodies of water where a loud call would reach a long distance.divercalling is duck huntings best kept secret.The highball sounds like you stepped on your dogs leg or tail.The feeding call is a purring call in short or suductive purring.The video was shot in the 60's primitive to todays inventions

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

All this comes from a guy that can’t call Mallards so take it for what it’s worth...not much. :))[/QUOTE]

Ringecks will respond to a mallard call. Just don't over do it.

Rubberhead likes this.
  3. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I love fishing but I'd rather hunt ringers, osceola turkeys, doves, snipe...

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I've been repairing shot up ringer decoys and ordered the stuff for re rigging some singles and zip tied 3" longline clips to the keels of 2 dozen. Day dreaming of being on the marsh in the pic I posted being buzzed by lesser scaup and ringers for a couple days now.

5. Glades Ranger

Billy Bob, I have presently 3' of water in the glades. They have pumped out lots of water the last two months because of heavy rain. Unless there is another deluge in September, that should drop a foot. It becomes more attractive for mottled and teal when shallower. The ringers don't seem to care much, and of course if there are bountiful food plants a real magnet situation. I imagine you have a variable tide in your riverine hunting? Waiting on the Buck Gardner diver call I ordered, even though teal season comes first. Very little practicing for that- have a whistle and a Woodie call for the first four days.

6. Glades Ranger

The 12$ Buck Gardner call came and I am quite pleased with the tone and volume. IMO a tad better than the Haydels DC-14. It is thinner so it remains to be seen about its durability, but I am careful with calls. In the future hope to add DJ's diver call!

mmayes and Billy Bob like this.
  7. Lovetogun

Lovetogun Refuge Member

We get a lot of ring necks in our public flooded corn. They typically will work well to a mallard call and apparently love to sit with mallards. In my experience they will make you look like a good caller where the other ducks ignore whatever you throw at them on public ground

8. Glades Ranger

They will respond, i just added a Flextone diver call to my "arsenal". The first November arrivals (oh what a magical time) are more susceptible to decoys and calling, but they rapidly wise up. A good part of it must be the greetings they get running the Atlantic gauntlet. They are splendid fliers and good table fare.

Lovetogun likes this.
  9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I am picky when it comes to eating ducks, and ringers are good on the table, as long as you pick them out... Most of the ones I shoot have a good layer of fat on them, and I imagine that fat reduces while cooking and softens the flavor on them... Breasted out, they taste a bit "livery" to me.

I will never shoot another scaup if I could help it, and scaup are not nearly as good on the table...

I would classify ringers as in general a bit better than widgeon on the table... Not as good as gw teal, pintail, cans, or redheads, but as good or better than other birds.

I have never had any luck calling them... Either they circle wide and come in to the decoys, or they don't... I have tried a number of diver calls, and growling, barking, etc... I have noted that they are suckers for actual ringer decoys (probably cause not too many people use them in my area).

Lovetogun likes this.
  10. goosehunter64

goosehunter64 Elite Refuge Member

Glades Ranger...are you on Facebook?