call for ringnecks/blackjacks

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Sparingly! I try and stay away from that medium...

2. goosehunter64

goosehunter64 Elite Refuge Member

Contact me over there. Rob Dickson
    If you would like to learn how to call divers...let me know

3. Glades Ranger

Just saw your post...thanks. I actually think I am a decent caller, but I know I am a better scouter/hunter. As mentioned before, both bluebill and ringbill might be categorized as dumb ducks- though I think the latter are smarter and taste better. I don't have the luxury to hunt other ducks and cannot ever look at the ringers as "trash" ducks or the like. That term "burl-burl" is really more a grunt as you have probably heard. In any case, having a couple of calls that are more specialized and "truer" to the real thing, might just make the difference. I am usually lucky in that it is usually quiet enough where I hunt, that using a call is well worth it- in other words, I am not competing much with other callers or motor noise. Those that say you can't turn the birds by calling are just not correct. Yes, they can be deceived, albeit many times they seemingly ignore the calling.

goosehunter64 likes this.
  4. Glades Ranger

So what do you call the aythya collaris in your area? Ringnecks, ringnecks, or blackjacks? I more frequently say "ringers" here in the extreme south.

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Usually "Jacks" or less commonly, as the old folks die off, "butterballs". (The Cajuns reserved "ringneck" for Canada geese.) Though many millennials with no understanding of their grandparents' language now misuse it and call them "dos gris" ("back gray," which the jack has not)), the still common term for scaup.

6. Glades Ranger

Ok, i forgot to add "ringbills", which is probably more "true"...but for sure they are our "bread n butter"!

7. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

Ringers are the thing MN and FL have most in common. They are our bread and butter in northern MN too.

Question for those that have used DJ’s diver calls, can you just blow in to the call or do you need to do a tongue quiver and/or grunt in to the call to make it sound right?

8. Feathers

Ringers are the thing MN and FL have most in common. They are our bread and butter in northern MN too.

Question for those that have used DJ’s diver calls, can you just blow in to the call or do you need to do a tongue quiver and/or grunt in to the call to make it sound right?

9. Feathers

10. Glades Ranger

Do those ringers stay around N Minnesota? Several thousand winter here! Waiting to hear on DJ's call- still on the fence on getting one.