Carlson Sporting Clays choke tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drake91, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Your #2 is not part of patterning, and #3 is covered by your #1. What was left out was the most important part of the patterning process: pattern distribution. Having a high pattern percentage is not much use if the pattern consists of holes and clumps of shot. A evenly distributed pattern is the most important part, providing your load and distance provides sufficient density. That's why getting only pattern percentages is pretty much a waste of time; it leaves out the most important aspect of a shotgun pattern.

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

We haven't even touched shot string. But you can do all that and think you have a good shell/choke combination but it may not perform that will in the field for whatever reason. The final test is the field test.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  3. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Oh, my god. Here we go again!!!! Time to drop back and punt.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yea, your are right. Why take the human equation out of play. Just wing it. I mean, it is amazing they we even know what POI means.

5. dla

dla Senior Refuge Member

My point is pretty simple - POI only matters with the gun mounted (human definitely in the equation). Any adjustments are made for a particular shooter.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Or,
    MAYBE.....

The shooter needs to make some adjustments. Like properly mounting the gun. Or, stop flinching. Or, try keeping your eyes open.

It only make sense to FIRST, make sure the gun is performing properly.

bluebill77 and OneShotBandit like this.
  7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Native I shoot 200 - 300 ducks and geese a year running around a 2 shell average, so I think I know how to kill ducks and geese just fine. I work with a shooting instructor and shoot quite a bit so you can keep your sarcasm and petty comments to yourself, but I forgot you are the almighty Moderator who knows everything and is walks on water. I do know I bought two cases of the Rogers Federal Ultra loads, they looked good on paper but performed terribly for me and my son in the duck blind so I got rid of them. Yes it eliminates a lot but paper is two dimensional and actual shooting is three dimensional.

callinfowl likes this.
  8. dla

dla Senior Refuge Member

Hmmmm, not sure what you were trying to get at with the flinching, etc.
    Imagine somebody walks up and says "make me wingshooter" and hands me their shotgun. I put it on lazer-sighted rest, fire 3 rounds of birdshot at 16yds and discover it shoots 3" to the right. So am I going to tell the person "sorry, I can't help you till you get your barrel bent"?
    No, I'm going to have the person get into the best mount possible and fire 3 rounds with them looking at, but not aiming at a dot at 16yds. And from there I'd work with the shooter and their shotgun to get things lined up best as possible.

9. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

I've seen alot of people flinch when shooting at the patterning board. No adrenaline makes people anticipate the recoil.

10. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Man, I ALWAYS test my new gun from the bench to see the POI/POA especially w/turkey loads. IMHO as Native states it takes some of the human factor out. Also for patterning Min. 5 shots and @ 40 yrds. again IMO.

jzoo likes this.