Central Kansas food plots

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by KSU86, Aug 8, 2018.

1. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

August has snuck up on me. Teal season & K-State football fast approaching.
    June -drilled 5-6 acres of a pheasant forever blend & mixed in some Chiwapa millet.
    July – disked/harrowed 12 acres Japanese millet. Resent rains, has jazzed all the food plots.
    Battling hemp sespania, courtesy of a contaminated bag of oats, planted years ago.
    I love the anticipation of the upcoming seasons - both duck and K-State.

Jap Milliet Aug 7 2018.jpg

Neck Collar, JP and stevena198301 like this.
  2. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Awesome! I'm very jealous. Besides the obvious fun of duck hunting, I would really love to be a part time duck farmer and tinker around on a 15 or so acre duck marsh. Can you go over more details about what you do with the property, how you acquired it, what equipment you need to maintain it, how you flood it, etc?

3. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I’m with Nick on this!!!! I have food plot/land envy.

4. KSU86

Nick & Marshmob,

Central KS duck farming - It’s been a journey. I got hooked on water fowling about 20 years ago. Honest truth - every other year, we got bumped off our lease, for one reason or another. So, I started looking for a ducky place with high hopes and not enough nickels to be taken seriously. I looked for 2-3 years & came close to buying two different properties @ auction – one near my place, and the other along the Walnut river. I recall many painful near misses, walking 10-15 different properties. Then one day, I got a call from a realtor listing a property I’d toured 4-5 month previous. The seller’s situation had changed & their motivation had too. I got lucky – BUT, I had worked hard to find something, and when lady luck came calling, I was in line. The property had a creek, shallow water table, in a good flyway, but zero ponds or marshes. Buying it was the start of another journey.

NRCS helped design and permit creek feed marsh – and they also secured some matching dollars from various sources. I persuaded the wife to drive her same car for 10 years, so I could afford a new tractor and some implements. Bingo – weekend farmer.

5. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Awesome!

How many acres is it?
    How do you pump? (You said creek fed so I assume you pump from there)
    Did you build permanent blinds or do you move blinds around with bird activity?
    Have water rights been problematic?
    How many birds do you take off it a year?

Lots of fun, I’m sure. I keep my eyes peeled for a perfectly flat 10-15 acre piece of bottomland. Not like I’ve got the cash, but I’m saving and dreaming. One day!!

6. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

That sounds incredible! I have the same questions as nick plus what’s NRCS and can you explain the matching funds?

7. KSU86

A girl can't give away all her secrets. I cant give anyway my gps coordinates unless they familiarize themselves with the folks at NRCS.

8. KSU86

Pic from last year ('17) .. view from one of 3 pit blinds.
    16 acre marsh built in 2006, designed by NRCS, 3-4 permits required with creek feed. 4 pools, each controlled with Agri-drain's. We harvest a few.
    PM me if you need more information, always glad to help.

[​IMG]

JP and stevena198301 like this.