Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Changes a gonna come to a WMA near you

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by stevena198301, Nov 17, 2017.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Steven,

Would you attribute the reduced gunfire to the shell count restrictions, lack of birds moving or a general thinning of waterfowler ranks?

BTW, did the Morgan and Lawrence county Industrial Development Board(s) ever succeed in annexing the chunk of MCFCWMA?

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Dunno... I wasn't there, I was across the river. If I were to assume, it'd be lack of birds, since we saw literally NOTHING flying most of the day. There are good numbers of birds in N. Alabama right now though (for AL), so they may have had birds over there. There are a good bit sitting within a few miles of them on the refuge, and I'd imagine they are using SC some. I honestly doubt lack of gunfire was from lack of folks on SC.

As for the MFWMA, I do not know. There is an industrial park there now, but I don't know if they annexed any of MF for it. There is still private lands bordering the WMA, between the industrial park and MF.

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Either I am getting (more) senile but they sure looked like Sandhill cranes on Crow Creek Refuge this morning. Do not recall seeing any this far to the east before.

4. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

The sand hills I have seen them all thru Alabama from sod farms down south of Pell City to Weiss lake I’m sure they are there have heard them and their distinctive sound echoing over guntersville last year

5. stevena198301

Wheeler held several sandhills and a few Whoopers last year. Maybe 10-20K sandhills?

6. stevena198301

@JP; How long you in town?

7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Am in Florence @mom's and leaving in the morning as I have an appointment with a client in Arkansas tomorrow evening.

The Sandhill crane presence was a shock as back in the day we rarely saw snow geese much less Sandhill cranes as they are/were pretty a Central Flyway resident. My, how things are changing.

The season on Sandhill cranes here in Oklahoma is for the part of the state west of I-35, only.

8. stevena198301

Well, that sucks... I was gonna invite you out for a beer if you were gonna be around a minute. Safe travels!

As for the cranes; I was told that Alabama used to have a heavy migrating population of them many, many years ago, but it had dropped to nothing in "recent" years. Recent being decades.

9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Get a season on them here....flying ribeyes!

Will be back in a few months and give you a heads up beforehand.

10. stevena198301

TN (some parts) has one now. The primary places they go here are the refuges. I have heard they are good eating. See them by the thousands in KS. Love to hear them flying over all night.

Gimme a holler.