Cheap Trail Cam

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Nov 13, 2017 at 1:10 PM.

1. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I'm going to make a two-fer trip here this week, I'm gonna get up and trout fish a little more before it gets legit cold. But at the same time I want to hang some cameras on...gulp....PUBLIC ground! I want to get a few out and check before I make it up there for deer season here in a while.

I've seen some cameras dirt cheap at places like Orscheln's or even Menard's. How cheap can a guy go before you're getting into total junk? But at the same time, I'll keep a cool head if they get yanked since, being on public and all, I'm just telling myself that's going to happen. In all truthfulness given the area in question I highly doubt another human will even find them but you never know.

If you had to buy a camera that did at least a mediocre job of picture taking, but you wouldn't cry if you got a couple jacked either, what would you be looking for? Are the Orschelns cams worth a dang?

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I've seen some that were halfway decent on sale for around $50ish. Now, if I had a couple of those thieved, I'd be out a C note and pretty well pizzed.

3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

They are gonna get ganked. Just telling you.

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

My father-in-law is from Iowa, and he assures me the people of Iowa have respect for the property of others and never steal.

The first time I took him duck hunting my wife explained he was a stickler for the rules. That first morning I killed my birds really fast and kept my gun loaded hoping specks would fly. Bob hadn't shot in several years, so I kept working ducks so he could get in the groove. After about 45 minutes he got his eye back. When he doubled on a flock he asked, "what's the limit?" I said, "Bob, you quit worrying about that two flocks ago." He loaded up and kept going. That was a long time ago.

Fowler267 and GUNNERX2 like this.
  5. seiowa

Probably. If I go into it with that mindset though I won't be mad. I say the probability of them getting taken is about 60%. I'm trying to hedge it in my favor by hunting a county that is like 70th out of our 99 for population, maybe...14-15k live in this county? Plus I hunt a portion of that county most others don't anyway...but yeah, you're right. They'll get taken. At least they will be in Northern Iowa so I know the tweakers won't be taking them. Cold seems to keep their numbers down.

Most Iowans will never ever EVER steal, if there is even a .01% chance they may get caught. Most Iowans will steal if they think it is a sure thing they will not get caught. Lots of news releases about chubby, matronly looking, cookie baking city clerks in towns of 400 people that over 20 years have embezzled BIG money.

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I've made the mistake... deer stands, trail cams, boats... nothing is safe on public land, no matter how well you think it's hidden and out of the way, eventually someone will find it and take it.

7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

For any thief, getting caught is not on their radar.

8. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

A game cam lock like the Python may help. Only the guy with a machete or ax will be able to get it. $12 to protect $60 or more. I use them on my cameras even on private land.

9. Jnd1959

Jnd1959 New Member

I was born in Iowa so I wouldn't steal your camera...but I would sneak in and look at the pictures from time to time...just sayin.

Fowler267, DEADEYE, lax and 1 other person like this.
  10. seiowa

Menards has some WildGame Innovations cams that are DIRT cheap....for what I'd pay for a decent brand single cam I could probably buy 3 of these plus like most Menards stuff I think there is a rebate involved. Anyone know if these are total junk or not?