Cheap walk in cooler build for hanging game

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by California Flyway, Jun 21, 2017.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

For many years I had access to a large walk in cooler and game processing place at one of the local ranchers. Those folk passed and now I have to find another option. A guy I know who raises and sells his own lamb and goat meat told me about a great option. You build your own small, say partition of a garage, hang a small, wall mounted AC unit and add a device called a "Coolbot". The Coolbot unit overrides the air conditioners controls and allows the unit to run down and hold 40 degrees which is the temp I like to hang deer. These units cost $330. I already have a small space in my garage because a Vet used to own the house and she set up the space as a lab. I just need to install insulation and buy a small AC unit.
    The site for the outfit that sells the coolbot units and has info on how to build a walk in cooler is:

storeitcold.com

There are also some youtube videos of folks building theirs using these handy units.

2. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

See if you can find a wine cellar cooler. Mine goes down to 45 degrees. I found it used for 250 dollars from a guy building a bigger wine cellar. I guess I could hang meat in the cellar and put a trash can under it.

3. California Flyway

Kevin do you have a link for a wine room cooler that can get to and hold at 40 degrees that would be less money than a small, inexpensive wall AC with a Coolbot controller ?
    40 degrees is the magic temp for aging big game meat while not allowing unwanted spoilage organisms and processes.

4. Kevin Burroughs

how about a cooling unit for a walk in fridge like in a liquor store. They set them as cold as they want.

5. California Flyway

Yes, I know about those but it is about cost.
    You can buy a good rated Frigidaire 5,000 BTU wall unit at places like Lowes for $130 to $170. 5,000BTU's would be enough for a 150 square foot room.
    About $200 for an 8,000 BT which would work for a 350 sq ft room.

These might not be the heaviest duty made but would only be used for say twelve days per whole deer hung. Should last a long time.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  6. Icastnblast

Icastnblast Elite Refuge Member

I have one planned in the near future as well. I like to process my own game and the wife plans to open a flower arrangement business. Mine will be partitioned "cold rooms" to keep meat and flowers separated with a cooled work area with stainless tables for meat and flower trimming. The cool bot controller seems to be a good idea for light use, still not sure how the efficiency would be compared to a small industrial unit.

There are some pretty good plans on the internet with all the people getting into modern homesteading. Building up an insulated floor with a moisture barrier seems necessary for anything to last more than a few years. Find yourself an insulated door and also hang some plastic curtains, that allows you to leave the door open when there are multiple trips from the truck. And if you were to really plan ahead build the floor with a fall to the center and have a drain run through the insulted floor and out to the side of the house. That way you could spray down the floor with a cleaner and you could hose it all out and place a heavy rubber cover over the drain when done.

7. Kevin Burroughs

Don't tell anyone you have a meat hanging box, you will be a real popular guy come hunting season. I hang ducks and geese in the wine cellar for a couple of days before I pick them.

8. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

I got my grubby mitts on a bunch of these if they will work...lmk.. right up your alley Craig.. Cheap !!!

Heat and Cool units..9000 btu cooling 8000 btu heating..

[​IMG]

9. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

10. bxcall1

bxcall1 Senior Refuge Member

My son was talking up this same project. He might be interested in one of those.