Chufa Spraying

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by S.King28, Jul 10, 2019.

1. S.King28

S.King28 Refuge Member

what are some herbicides I can spray on my chufa’s to kill the grasses and Broadleaves. I know 2-4D amine for broad leaves would be one but what are there some better? What about the grass spray? And this won’t affect the sedge at all? this is my 2nd year with the chufa but didn’t spray it last year, thanks for any help

2. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Copied from another source.

“You definitely don't want weed competition in your chufa plot if you can help it. For grass competition, use 1.5 to 2 pints of Poast herbicide per acre (see the herbicide label for non-cropland use) along with one quart per 100 gallons of solution of crop oil concentrate as a surfactant. Surfactants are wetting agents that lower the surface tension of a liquid to allow easier spreading and lower the interfacial tension between two liquids. If you also have broadleaf weeds such as coffee weed and pigweed, use 1.5 pints per acre of 2,4-DB (also called Butyrac 175), but do not use 2,4-D because it may kill the chufa. You may use this mixture alone or in a tank mixed with the Poast. In either case, use the same rate of crop oil concentrate as recommended for the Poast mixture”

stevena198301 and Crow Creek like this.
  3. S.King28

S.King28 Refuge Member

Thanks Clayton wonder why the 2-4D might kill the sedge but the 2-4DB won’t

4. Clayton

Don’t have a clue. Also wonder if they mean 2,4-d ester or 2,4-d amine. I only use amine and yes it will stress yellow-nut sedge bad but it usually recovers in a couple of weeks. What I don’t know is how much does that reduce tuber production.

5. S.King28

S.King28 Refuge Member

If it stunts the plant for a couple weeks u would think it would hurt tuber production somewhat. Why is it that I’ve read chufa doesn’t like to be in super wet ground but YNS does? Thought they were basically the same plant

6. Clayton

No doubt it probably does but the shading from the sesbania and cocklebur I am spraying is probably hurting as much or more.

Chufa is a domesticated version usually grown in more upland conditions so it may prefer slightly dryer ground. The few times we have planted it had been dry years and it didn’t do squat until we later had heavy soaking rains. Not sure where that breaking point is on chufa.

7. S.King28

S.King28 Refuge Member

This is off topic but while I have u here, is the seed on BYG or jap Millet viable even when it’s still a little green? Say I wanted to hand pick abunch of BYG to spread somewhere else when can I tell the seed ok to pick and will germinate? Does it have to be brown and hardened up?

8. Clayton

I could not say for sure but my thought would be yes it needs to be browned up. Easy way to test it though. Pick some and put in a folded wet paper towel on a plate and set in window to get some sun. Keep moist. If going to sprout it should within a week.

9. S.King28

S.King28 Refuge Member

Again, while I got you here instead of making a new thread. Do u know this plant?
    Looks like a smartweed maybe but isn’t making a head or atleast hasn’t yet.

10. S.King28

S.King28 Refuge Member

Pics aren’t great sorry

Attached Files: