Cinnamon teal

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by STL11, Jan 12, 2018.

1. STL11

STL11 New Member

looking for guide recommendations to get me on a cinnamon teal. Been a bucket list duck for a while and being from the east coast i’ve never seen one and would like one for the wall. Any info would be appreciated

2. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Seeing more and more of them in the Houston area, but most are just passing through on their way to South America and they aren't in good plumage yet. Most don't return until after the season is over.

But I did get a good one this year...

[​IMG]

No recommendation on a guide but the further west the better...

[​IMG]

STL11 and sdkidaho like this.
  3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Call Ramsey at getducks. Your best bet is probably Mexico. Some places there you can pretty well count of shooting several to pick from during a trip.

STL11 likes this.
  4. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

I met up with some guys on this forum from California and shot one some public land. Always an option.

STL11 likes this.
  5. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Have shot plenty in Argentina. Do not know if you can import into US.

STL11 likes this.
  6. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

This is a good option . Head to the grasslands region of CA south of Stockton and hunt the public refuges. That area holds the most cin teal - at least in my experience. You will have a better shot at one going that route than a guide anywhere else in CA.

It will cost you a CA OOS license, refuge day passes ~$21/day, air, rental car, and about $50/night shacking up in a motel 6 in nearby Santa Nella. The refuges in that area of CA only hunt Wed/Sat/Sun save for one that is Wed/Sat. You should post on the CA forum and you will likely get better help/answers than I can provide.

Also come in January so the birds are fully plummed if you want one for the wall.

STL11 likes this.
  7. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

We get them here in Nevada most Januaries when the weather is mild.You could bring your wife or gal and stay in Vegas and me and or my son could probably get you one without a guide.Make a getaway out of it.I could let you borrow a gun and a license is 21.00 a day Its just there are less chances then if you went with a guide,but he can't guarantee you one either.Obviously it's to late to do it this year but we could try for next year. We also have some fair Pintails numbers in late January also.

STL11, GK1 and Ducker 4 Ever like this.
  8. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

1EF7CB9E-94B9-42BB-8C78-E76FA9B348EF.jpeg
    $21 for first day. $8 for each subsequent day.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    STL11 likes this.
  9. STL11

STL11 New Member

What time of yr did you go?

10. Orion

Orion Senior Refuge Member

Go in January if you can. The cinnamons get pretty thick again at the end of the season in the southern Central Valley of CA and are fully plumed. They are stunning birds at that time of the year. We usually have multiple opportunities at them when I can get out into that area.