Cleanest Steel Shotgun Shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Tailfeathers, Feb 14, 2018 at 8:02 AM.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Shooting dirty Black Cloud. Want cleaner burning shells. Steel 3" BB's. What is your experience with the cleanest shells?

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Not trying to smart about it but other than the loads I make not to many.
    Main thing is most factory ammo is made to shoot in a wide temperature range, manufacturers don't know if you'll be hunting in 70 degree weather or zero degree weather so they make shells to function in all temperatures. What this means is if they make shells that work reliably (don't go overpressure) in high temperatures they many times lack in the very cold temperatures, by lack I mean don't get positive ignition or a complete powder burn which leads to the dirty shell thing.
    The way it is, shells I make for extreme cold can't be used in very warm temperatures as they will go overpressure but making your own you can do this, factories can't and do the best they can with what they have to work with.

3. Alldrakes

Alldrakes Elite Refuge Member

I have found Fiocchi to burn very clean. Kents are terrible as are Federal Blue box.

4. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Rem nitrosteel, kent fast steel, and Hevishot hevi-steel all burn pretty clean in my gun.

I was in scheels the other day and I see that the Federal Speed shok line has changed, the 1400 fps loads are now 1450 fps, and they are advertising "now cleaner burning" or something to that effect on the boxes.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Kent is dirty like black cloud but nothing is worse than blue box federals. I shoot experts, they don't seem dirty but I don't hunt in cold conditions often so I can't speak of that. Drylocks were about the same.

6. Meach

Meach Elite Refuge Member

Who else considers Kents dirty?

7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

This.

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Blue box Federal dirtiest shells I’ve ever shot bar none .. Xperts very clean.

9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I shoot blue box much of the time. While it leaves unburnt powder in the barrel, it doesn't hurt anything; the next shot blows the unburnt powder out just fine.

10. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Senior Refuge Member

I have never noticed that Black Cloud left dirt or residual powder.