Decoy Forum Sponsors

Cleaning Dakota Goose Field Decoys???

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by ducksandcorn, Jul 2, 2019.

1. ducksandcorn

ducksandcorn New Member

Hi,

I have a lot of field dakota goose decoys with flocked heads. Last fall we hunted a real muddy field and most of the decoys got mud on them....is there a good way to clean these? I would love to power wash them but I'm guessing that would mess up the flocking...any help would be great.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Get em wet. Let em stay wet for a few minutes. Have a SOFT bristle brush and a bucket of water with Dawn soap. Rinse first, lightly scrub, rinse again.

Big NO on the power washer, unless you stand across the street from them as you wash.

3. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

Just spray them down with the garden hose. No power washer.

Blue dawn dish soap mixture in a Hudson sprayer and soak them down. Let them sit a few minutes and rinse with the hose again.

Or leave em out in the rain during a thunderstorm. No real need to overthink it.

4. speckinator

speckinator Refuge Member

Yep. I just use a garden hose. No soap or brushes on my flocked decoys. The mud rinses right out. I don’t blast the hose too hard either.

5. Jonathan Knopp

Jonathan Knopp New Member

I use a pressure washer without issues. Of course, the one I have is not too powerful, and I stand back a bit.

6. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

so you are basically using a garden hose.

7. Jonathan Knopp

Jonathan Knopp New Member

I guess my initial post should have said, "I have found that lower PSI pressure washers do not hurt the flocking and still remove dirt much better than most weak garden hoses, you just may need to stand back a little bit. But, if your hose is powerful enough then I am sure that is the best choice. My garden hoses are not as effective at getting dirt out of flocking as my pressure washer is."