Code black duck

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Kornfed, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Kornfed

Kornfed Senior Refuge Member

Picked one up the other day. Definitely can't hurt my shooting. I'll be using it out of my SuperNova. Any of you all shoot with one?

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

No idea what it is?

3. Kornfed

It's a tube put out by patternmaster.

4. Teal Tags

Teal Tags Senior Refuge Member

Here it is

[​IMG]

pud123 likes this.
  5. Kornfed

Yeah, but mine came in camo.

ronaldo and Squaller like this.
  6. Squaller

Does the shot come out of there (as a spreader pattern), or do you pour extra shot in before shooting to create a better pattern density?

Tuleman likes this.
  7. Kornfed

I've been using factory chokes for damn near 40 years and saw this in a magazine, then watched Zink running one in some vid and boom! Hook line and sinker...but I'm still gonna try it out Saturday.

8. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

Talk about covering the bird with the bead!:doh

9. awaldro7

awaldro7 New Member

you will like the code black. I shoot one out of my Affinity and have patterned it with several different loads and it patterned best with almost every single load vs my factory chokes.

10. Squaller

What ranges are you patterning? What size shot? When you say "patterned best," do you mean higher percentage pattern density or do you mean an even distribution of pellets throughout the pattern or both?

A choke that patterns really well at 40 yards (good pattern density with even distribution) will likely be too tight at 25-30 yards...

There is no single choke that will be ideal for all situations of water-fowling… Hunting tight/small tule ponds, I am going to shoot a more open choke than when shooting open water cause my shots will be further in the open water....

Not saying that anyone has made such claims on this thread, but all too often it seems that many hunters mis-correlate tighter patterns with better patterns. I am looking for a well-distributed pattern in a 30 inch circle at the ranges I plan on shooting.

Another thing to remember is that when comparing your new after-market chokes to your current chokes, make sure all the chokes are clean. As plastic residue builds on the wall of the chokes, I have seen it (apparently) effect patterning. I have noticed with my own chokes that the residue build-up tends to favor one side, or one area of the choke...

Throw all the new weird wad designs, along with the different shot shapes, and things get even more confusing. I have been using the same load and choke combinations for the past 10 years, and have done little patterning since coming up with "my formula." So for all I know, I could be missing out on some new wonderful chokes that somehow manage to throw nice evenly distributed patterns at 20 yards, which maintain until 40 yards... But I highly doubt it...