Cold Honor Blind

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by EvanG, Jun 2, 2018.

1. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Close, but no. The dog will be scored primarily on the blind. The mark is simply a strong diversion, which makes the blind more difficult.

EvanG

2. EvanG

Generally the honor would not be difficult. It's merely a function of the test. The mark provides a suction-type distraction that makes the blind more challenging. How the overall test is configured determines how distracting it is. NOTE: Blinds ARE a test of control. That's what they're about.

EvanG

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

What do you think is the best way to drill & handle for this?

I'd guess, NO-ing the dog off of the mark ( line) then lining for the blind. Possible whistle sit when dog get close to mark, and then left hand back cast.

I can't say that I have trained specifically for this, but we have definitely set up some drill similar to this on water. and we run some tight(er)wagon wheels on land.

4. EvanG

If you train soundly for poison bird blinds, cold honor blinds should not cause a problem. CHB is really just an alternative to PB. Four Phase Drill is a great vehicle for training dogs on all the standard diversion factors, and you can do all but one poison bird. Phase D (blind through the mark) would be very unfair.

As to handling, the logical handling cues apply. If the dog is locked on the spot where the bird fell, "No", here or heel, "Dead bird", etc.

EvanG

5. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

As Evan has pointed out, the CHB is an easier form of the poison bird blind, so if the dog is well schooled on poison birds then it should not be problem. What may be a problem may be the cold honor itself.

On regular honors, dogs tend to automatically turn back to the truck when the working dog is released. He knows he has already picked up those particular marks and they are not his to retrieve. If the cold honor has not been practiced, then the dog may be thinking the bird he saw going down may be his to retrieve and may be more likely to break.

EvanG likes this.
  6. HarryWilliams

HarryWilliams Elite Refuge Member

If some of the dogs running probably have trained on the property used then a cold honor can be a way to kinda even things out.

EvanG likes this.
  7. 2-Dogs

2-Dogs Senior Refuge Member

How so?

8. 2-Dogs

2-Dogs Senior Refuge Member

I disagree with this statement. In my book the mark is scored the same as any other mark. I like putting some meat in the marks I use for a PB blinds and almost always have them picked up; obviously on a cold honor the mark will be picked up. Why make it a gimmie? I want to score as many marks as possible.

The biggest challenge in a cold honor is not so much the set-up as the mechanics, simply because your gunners and handlers aren't always familiar with them. The issues I've seen with dogs on cold honors tend to be no-go's and confusion when sent.

9. HarryWilliams

HarryWilliams Elite Refuge Member

By rearranging/interrupting their focus of familiar terrain. It's subtle. HPW

10. EvanG

You're welcome to disagree. But the mark is provided as a diversion. It's not a marking test. In days past, and still now and then judges may provide a handling test that consists of a set of marks with a blind taken out of order. But that's not a cold honor blind. A cold honor blind is just that, and the blind is the focus of the test.

EvanG