Texas Flyway Forum Sponsors

Conservation Goose hunting

Discussion in 'Texas Flyway Forum' started by duckmanJR, Feb 10, 2019 at 6:13 AM.

1. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

I will be in the San Antonio area in mid March. Is there any Goose hunting in striking distance during that time frame?

2. portahunter

portahunter Elite Refuge Member

By that time of March usually all the geese have left Texas on their Migration north.

3. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

As portahunter said, it's rare to still have any snow geese around that late.

4. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Thanks guys....I guess it is a trip down to the saltwater to chase some trout & Reds then....

5. bgk

bgk Senior Refuge Member

To be honest, it wouldn’t matter when you came; there are no appreciable numbers of geese in SE or S TX anymore and they are never returning, at least in my lifetime.

6. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

It's not that dire. I have friends that did very well on decoying snows this morning, but they put in the time to find them and got set up in the right place.

But this area is no where near what it used to be. With 1,000 people moving to Texas every single day of the year, waterfowl habitat is turning to homes and shopping faster than you can keep up with. Added to that rice production is down over 70% mainly because of the cost of water and then the killer is advancements in rice varieties and more efficient combines that leave fields almost bare of grain.