Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Coot Decoys??

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by Wtm89, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Wtm89

Wtm89 New Member

Hey guys, new to the sight, and chomping at the bit waiting for the season. Thought I’d get some of y’all opinion on coot decoys. Y’all ever use them? Maybe to break up the spread a little or as a “confidence” decoy? Just curious to what y’all think of them.

2. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Yes I use about 5 coot to 1 duck I actually buy the mallard decoys after season at Walmart on clearance for like 12 bucks a dozen and rattle can them flat black fog them with primer grey and white on bills way cheaper than buying the coot decoys. I’m mainly diver hunting thou.

LA in ATL and Wtm89 like this.
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Pretty common on the G, for diver hunters. I have never personally used them.

Wtm89 likes this.
  4. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Depends - for diver spreads they are a great addition. For puddles they work especially well on public water where everyone else puts out the standard 2-4 doz mallards. I've watched plenty of birds shy away from live mallards in that situation.

Downside is that if you have coots out you will attract coots. The motion in decoys is great, unless you have young or unsteady retrievers - in which case you get to spend a lot of time dealing with bad dog behavior

Wtm89 likes this.
  5. cholt

These are my homemade coots clearance mallards no since in paying to dollar for a black duck got about 50 bucks in about 5 dozen of them. C01F87BB-DA84-46E8-9E3C-3AC431ED31B0.jpeg

LA in ATL and Wtm89 like this.
  6. volsquackhead

volsquackhead Senior Refuge Member

Absolutely, we used them all of the time when I was growing up/hunting The G. Rattle can some old decoys and you will be in biz.

7. LA in ATL

LA in ATL New Member

I stopped using GHG coots. The paint turns blue and gets shiny, and live coots seem to always swim around- not through, the Green Head Gear oversize coot decoys.
    Have watched Alabama coots swim in with the old herters, Tanglefree and academy coot decoys. Touch-up the decoy backs with a dust of flat grey camo paint.
    I run some mallard re-paints (see Cholt's posts above) close to shore like live poul-deau.

Attached Files:

cholt likes this.
  8. cholt

Best bag for the buck. I actually do the same with the grey. Spray them flat black then fog them with primer grey and white beaks and bam. Instant coot. I can make a raft of them for one hundred dollars easy.

LA in ATL likes this.