Coot deeks

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by StumpJumper, Feb 9, 2018.

1. StumpJumper

StumpJumper Refuge Member

Any of you guys use coot deeks to hunt divers? How do you guys like to set them?

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Never for divers but have in the marsh for puddle ducks. I would say as close together as you can to make it look like a natural raft.

3. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I have when hunting divers along a reed line. Bunched them up tight next to the reeds. Can say they helped or hurt.

4. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Herters used to advertise to use more coot decoys than the species you were hunting. They all eat the same weeds.

5. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

All the time. We also kill the coots. They taste better than the divers here.

Haven't found much difference where we set them.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Sorta on topic, but my opinion....

If we think the ducks are flying past, look down, see a bunch of coots, and think, "Hey, coots, they eat all the best stuff, let's land there.", we are fooling ourselves.

Birds come to coots because they put a big ruckus on the water, creating ripples, which means live birds and probably food. It creates a safe feeling, and ducks like that. It also explains why a jerk string is possibly the most effective tool you can have in your bag.

Coot decoys DO have one feature that I think helps. They are black, and that stands out a long way aways. Possibly important when you set your dekes in grass or flooded fields. If you are setting on open water, I don't see the advantage.

And the ONLY thing I am saying here is, if you are planning on adding coot dekes to your set because it 'will' improve your success, you may be fooling yourself. I would think this is especially true in diver hunting, which is generally on open water. I think the contrasting colors (but basically still very dark) of regular divers is attraction enough.

Billy Bob likes this.
  7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Ducker is more than welcome to his opinion, but my coot rafts aren't near my motion stuff and are where big ducks, and even specks, often finish - particularly later in the season. I'm thinking it's because coot rafts don't shoot at them nearly as often as duck rafts.

Re: divers, however, I find them generally much less particular than anything except, perhaps, teal. Though we more often have to kill the spinner used for teal to get resident ringnecks where we want them, a mallard machine rigged to splash, as well as dip, can be as useful for they as for teal. Cans, redheads and scaup are all dumb as rocks here and turn inside out for burring.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Ducks don’t like coots. Don’t waste your time building a coot rig.

markd likes this.
  9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Spot on.

I have seen evidence of these things time and again. Hunting on dead still days the ducks fly right on by and land with the coots, hunt the same place the following day with enough wind to ripple the waters surface and have ducks diving into our decoys.

When we hunt the salt with miles of open water, even when we're just hunting divers (bills, goldeneyes and buffies) we mix in scoter decoys because the black decoys can be seen MUCH farther away than the diver decoys.

10. Juan De

Juan De Senior Refuge Member

I have more coot decoys than I do any other specie. On the lakes where we hunt puddle ducks and divers are right in with coots. When I go hunting I begin by scouting, making note of what I’m seeing. If no coots on the lake then I wouldn’t use any. I try to match what I see. If you were to ask me shooting blind what would be in my layout boat spread. It would have roughly 4 dozen coots, roughly a dozen cans, a few bills, a few redheads, and one bufflehead drake a little off to the side of the layout( can really cause buffleheads to head to there demise). Just my opinion but I got plenty of great pics in the photo album from this setup.

Ringbill and Clayton like this.