Copper pot calls

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, May 15, 2019.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Did a search but only a few mentions. I have been using slate/glass/ aluminum pot calls in my spring arsenal. Heard a copper pot call on a video and was impressed. Thinking of getting one. For those of you that use one, how does it compare with other materials and what type of strikers are working for you? I know it is very much a trial/error thing, and personal, but just want some feedback on this type of call. I will probably get one anyway, you can't have enough calls though I usually only take three with me.

2. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Copper is one of my sleeper favorites, but it has to be a well-made call...good in the wind...

I’ve only found a few that work for me...Light’s Out...Mike Yingling...a few others...

I’ve had success with stabilized pots...elm..bodok...

Needs frequent sanding...surface & striker...

Tends to run well with a lighter wood striker...cedar...bodok...cherry...

Pretty common to test several strikers to find the ones that run well...

Good luck!!

3. Glades Ranger

Wow, good information! Thank you! What drew me to copper was listening to several videos of copper pots- the tone was really good, less shrill than the aluminum pot I use. I know I have to sand the alum good, as well as the striker tip. Our humidity here in Florida can also hamper the sound of both pot and box calls so I tote them in a zip lock but sometimes it is not enough- mouth call becomes the ace in the hole!

mudhen likes this.
  4. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

Mike makes really nice pots,look him up on Old Gobbler.

Greg

mudhen likes this.
  5. Glades Ranger

Thank you redjones. Two years ago I bought a slate/glass call from Lee Chadwick in Georgia (Misfire game calls), which has served me well, and he makes a copper call and I will purchase one from him.

6. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

Heat the tip of your striker and the surface of the pot with a cigarette lighter's open flame. You will see the humidity cook off the striker, slate will turn dark and wet looking, then evaporate to dry. No Ziploc needed. I do it before hitting the woods, then before every call sequence once the sun is up. You don't want to be striking the lighter during the first hour, too bright.

7. Glades Ranger

Will try that since i usually have an early cigar!