Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Cost of grass mats for john boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by wojteqzdeb, Nov 6, 2018.

1. wojteqzdeb

wojteqzdeb New Member

Can you share sources of grass mats?
    I need them for 15’ alumacraft

2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I got a 30' roll of it on Ebay- best value I could find. It was a little shorter, but I did two pieces on each side. Folded over and zip tied the edges where I cut it so it would not work loose. Has held up well. Added some cedar to break it up a little more after these pics were taken.

20180819_115807.jpg

Attached Files:

3. lowandslow

lowandslow New Member

quackgrass.net

Billy Bob likes this.
  4. bayport

bayport Senior Refuge Member

5. lowandslow

lowandslow New Member

The stuff in the picture is the same stuff as Fast Grass, Knutson buys it in California, the Mexican rain capes as they are called down there are stronger than the carribean grass but much smaller 3 ft 8 in wide by 4 ft tall, theres not alot of fronds going past the weave either.
    Quack Grass is available in 4 different sizes and less expensive, only lasts about 2 years.
    its all about what you want to pay for something, there's carry lite decoys and there's avian X. both have there own niche.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

It all rots at the same rate, it's palm fibers no matter how you spin it. Care and maintenance is what matters most, dry them whenever possible. Grass mats can also be made to last a lot longer. I used an old sprayer and filled it with Thompson's waterseal and hung them up then sprayed them with as light of mist as I could get it to do On both side then flipped them upside down and sprayed them again to get even better coverage. Best part is that they don't soak up near as must water so they don't get near as heavy.

7. wojteqzdeb

wojteqzdeb New Member

Thank you for help.
    Is there a way to i stall them on folding avery quick-set blind and be able to fold down the frame?