Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Crab Pickers

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Smackdown 870, May 17, 2018.

1. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

So WBOC has had a few articles about how none of the picking houses have workers because of the work visas. While part of me thinks this is sad, I start to think that this may be a product of living and dying by the sword. I think that this industry may have died years ago if it was not for the migrant workers. Now that process has been interrupted and this may be the end for them. Years ago I found that most of the crabmeat that made up a famous crab house's crab meat was from Indonesia and came from a spotted swimming crab and only a small amount was from the Chesapeake. I later went to a buffet that was owned by this company and low and behold these crabs were on the buffet. While this is a proud history of our area I think that maybe this may be the start of the end for several of those business's on the Chesapeake. I guess when you put most of your eggs in one basket this is what happens.
    I wonder how this will impact the dynamics of crabbing ,the crab market on the shore and will this possibly have a positive impact on the crab populations?

2. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Cost of picked meat will go up, maybe a bunch.

Demand for picked meat will go down.

Demand for live picking crabs will go down.

Price of live picking crabs will go down.

Harvesting of live picking crabs will go down.

Population of sook crabs will go up.

Population of new crabs will go up.

The rest depends on environment and food resources for the crabs.

Perhaps population of fish that rely on crabs will go up.

3. mooseknuckle

mooseknuckle Elite Refuge Member

couple weeks no one will even remember this happened

4. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Elite Refuge Member

Most restaurant lump crab cakes made from blue crab is from aquaculture in Venezuela. Put simply, it's a good, stable product that allows restaurants to offer lump crab cakes at the same quality and price year round. I like that.

I seldom buy crabmeat- I enough to keep my cravings at bay. We freeze some too for winter.

While sad to see picking houses struggle to find work- it's amazing that we have to bring in people from outside when there are many able body people around that are able to work that don't. That's the issue.

Capitalism just needs to win out, as does supply and demand in my opinion.

On an unrelated issue- I find the fact that people getting government assistance can charge expensive crabs to their EBT cards rediculous and verification that the machine is broken. Very broken indeed.

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

If Venezuelan elections don't go well next month, that source may dry up too

6. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

The crab meat market is a mess. Imported meat from Mexico, China, Phillipines, Venezula, or anywhere else overseas is short due to weather, overfishing, labor issues, and lord knows what else. I see no relief in sight. The price of local hard crabs is such at present that picking doesn't make economic sense. Prices go up every day.

Although I firmly believe that locally sourced product is best, it's not always in the best interest of the consumer due to pricing and quality. Hopefully, like MooseKnuckle said, after local crabbers get past the first couple peeler runs, pricing of hard crabs will fall to a level where local picking houses can prosper.

7. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Maybe lower prices for steamed crabs, as fewer crabs will end up in picking houses.

A few years ago, I was fishing on the west coast of Fl. At the dock side resterant there were many bushels of blue crabs. I asked the owner where they were going. He said Maryland. Asked if he had a big steamer pot and old bay. Soon was back in the kitchen showing him how to steam crabs. We had a huge crowd watching us as we ate them. No one had ever seen anything like it.

Last edited: May 20, 2018 at 9:05 PM
  8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

The Chesapeake Bay is slowly being turned into a Disney history ride.

The Other David likes this.
  9. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

[QUOTE

On an unrelated issue- I find the fact that people getting government assistance can charge expensive crabs to their EBT cards rediculous and verification that the machine is broken. Very broken indeed.[/QUOTE]

First Job I worked was at a retail seafood store. We used to get people coming in and buying all kinds of seafood, crabs,and lobster with EBT cards. It was 1989 and was 15yrs old and I knew it was broken then.. I can say it was one of the first real world *** moments I had when I saw that...