CWA Special Hunts

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Beau Slaton, Sep 28, 2018.

1. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

My post was a response to CaliDuckPro who had an issue with the way they handled a specific reservation cancellation.

My offer still stands to him. I hope he takes me up on it.

:tu

PS: my eyes are wide open my friend. Enjoy your season.

callinfowl likes this.
  2. DERODOM

DERODOM Elite Refuge Member

Are all those goons you hang out with going to be present? Heard there are some real bada$$'s in your crew!!

callinfowl likes this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Not being a smart@zz here.
    If everyone in CWA was more like you there wouldn't be any problems. The main problem with CWA is that it's being run by duck hunters. And we all know that duck hunters are all saints.

mudhen likes this.
  4. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

No offense meant here either but whom else would you rather see a waterfowl hunting advocate group run by? Perhaps more environmentalists?, politicians? , gun control advocates? Farmers?

For hunters.... by hunters. Kinda makes sense to me.

5. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I don't know that there is an answer for that. I do know that some things need to change in the organization though. If people can't see this they are either naive or part of the problem.

green with ring and mudhen like this.
  6. cafowler1000

cafowler1000 Elite Refuge Member

I'll throw my .02 in here. The CWA Hunting Heritage Program is amazing. To see the growth that George and group have been successful with the last 12 years is unbelievable. The program started out as a summer shooting day for kids on Hoffman's Grizzly Ranch, 3-4 times the first summer. Now the program has grown from just kids learning to shoot on one property to women, veterans, everyday Joe-6pack hunters on dozens of properties, including kids, women's & first timers 2-Day Duck Camps. The Corp. sponsors of the programs from Bass Pro, to Banded, federal, on and on only add legitimacy to the program. All of this is great for the future of duck hunting in CA. Only Texas Parks & Wildlife have a similar program I know of. There is no reason to rig the draws as some allege.

First and foremost CWA needs to do fundraising as a non-profit. The opportunity to sell chances to hunt on the properties they now own, manage or have hunts donated is a great funding source for all the other work they do. Unlike the State Refuge program, where you can only apply once/hunt day, there are often multiple hunts/day on a property you can apply for, which does increase your chances of getting just one draw exponentially. I know that's a big word for some, so I'll explain. If there are 10 blinds on a property, you can apply 10 times for that property on that day. 10 chances for Grizzly Ranch vs. 1 chance for Sac on the same day. This puts 10 times the revenue in CWA's bank account, at 4 times the price of a chance on a state/fed refuge. It's easy to see from the year end summary CDFW sends out how many apply, multiply that times the rate/app, and compare this to the CWA program, and this is a great funding source for CWA. This is great for potentially winning a top shelf hunt experience on a private property without some overly aggressive millennial Duck Dynasty wannabe down-windin ya. Access to most of these property's were limited to an owner and his friends. Unless you ran in that club owner's circle of friends, little chance the avg. joe would ever get to experience these top shelf hunts.

The word is out, I've had at least a dozen people tell me how this CWA hunt program is a diamond and I got to get in on these hunts this year. As the program gets more popular the difficulty of getting drawn will increase, and with it the sour grapes from those who feel they are always cheated by The Man. The opportunity is still great when you do get drawn, and worth every bit of the "big coin" to apply for the hunts. Guys have listed how much they spend on the refuge app's, why not do that but for a chance to hunt a private high end club instead, and help fund CWA instead of the CDFW? Makes more sense to me. Last time I checked no refuges with boat to blind from a nice club house, with bunk room, after a Kinders dinner.

The program has run mostly on volunteers to help as mentors with the kids, lady's and veterans. The program still needs lots of help this year to support the new or inexperienced hunters, which is what this program is all about. The program wasn't set up to convert the Refuge Rats to hoity toity high dollar club china dolls. This is only an additional benefit from the success of the Hunting Heritage Program, which still targets new, women & veteran hunters. Everyone that has some solid experience to offer these new, women & veteran hunters, some of whom are exceptional hunters, should be supporting the program. This volunteering in turn helps fund the other efforts CWA has that we all benefit from. The Hunting Heritage Program started with one man's vision to combine his love of hunting and teaching. The board initially rejected the proposal, he fine tuned it, didn't give up, and the new program was finally approved. We all owe George a debt of gratitude. He's moved onto a new position with the state of WY now, but his vision and the program continues to grow, and it shouldn't be disparaged. The folks CWA have hired to run this program are doing a great job, up early to greet the hunters, warm up the boats, start the coffee, etc. The smiles on the kids, women's or veteran's faces is worth way more than all the sour grapes from a few on this forum who think the program is all about them. Those folks should volunteer, spend a day in the blind with a new lady hunter and help them understand why we all enjoy this sport so much. One lady was shaking with excitement when she got her first ducks, a double on widgeon. Seems some have forgotten how important that first duck excitement and a program that makes this possible is to the sport.

The volunteer sign-up sheet to mentor others on a hunt is going around now. CWA truly appreciates all the help they can get each year, you have to volunteer to find out how they show their appreciation.... The duck camps are 2 days, with a dozen or so folks needed on each day. The guys with the sour grapes might feel better about themselves after spending a day giving back to the sport they love?? Might meet some new friends, or some old ones from this forum, even if they are Dodgers Fans.... Regardless, enjoyment from supporting this program, getting some Vet's back into duck hunting, or a 12 yo girl out on her first hunt is really fulfilling. Everyone on this forum spends a ton of time in the field, and can afford to give back a couple of days each season.

vet hunt Denverton   11-19-16.JPG P1080063.JPG IMG_2720.JPG IMG_1770.JPG
    Illi Fuentes 2   10-28-17.JPG

7. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

I am sorry I can only 'like' a post 1 time! That is a 'drop the mike and walk away' post!

YOU have done a lot to help these programs! My hat is off to you...and CWA!

:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

PS: You choice of balloons still bring a smile to my face! :l:tu

8. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Good post Kirk. Some tremendous programs out there. When one gives back, it makes one feel good about themselves and not just for the resource or others the've helped. If some folks are not giving back through CWA, hopefully they are using another avenue.

9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Bingo.

Fraud was not explicitly stated, but was most certainly implied. You want to get an answer then go directly to the source.

10. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

This was .25 cents at least!