Dads turn!

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by SPOONKILR, Apr 23, 2018.

1. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I started hunting them when I was 14, so its actually, only 39 years. I don't think i've missed a spring season yet ( maybe 1 year when my dad was dying, but i don't remember , specifically). This is the first Spring season that I can recall that I didn't kill one myself. I usually shoot 2 each spring, and maybe 1 each fall.

2. dukhuntnfool

dukhuntnfool Elite Refuge Member

This year will be my 47th season as a licensed waterfowler in Ca and hunted with dad 3 years before that so I guess it will be 50 yrs in field chasing waterfowl , my hats off to you for your time afield chasing big game birds ! I got exposed to turkeys taking my son on Jr hunts 10 years ago , fell in love with it ! He has me outnumbered 7 to 1 ( I love that he does ) I've tried on my my own with complete frustration , its all about calling and timing and I don't have time to dedicate myself to perfection ! But the rush sure is tempting !

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

My brother and I were just talking this morning about how grateful we are that my dad brought us up to love the outdoors, and actually took time to take us hunting when we were young. I started deer hunting with my dad when I was about 3 or 4 years old. A couple of years after that, I got to tag along on a few duck hunts. I shot my first fowl ( a coot) when I was 6, and routinely got to shoot (shared 1 gun with my 2 older brothers) by the time i was 10. My old man wasn't rich, but somehow he finagled someone into trading 100 acres for an old 1971 ford station wagon. we build a small two room cabin on it. to this day, the memories of that old place are some of my very fondest.

here's a pic of the old cabin. it never had running water, and only got electricity when I was in college.
    pidlin place.jpg

We kept requesting my dad that we add a well, and running water, to which he would always reply "NOOOO!.....Then your mother will want to come down!:l

API likes this.
  4. dukhuntnfool

dukhuntnfool Elite Refuge Member

Reminds me of our 17 ft Aristocrat trailer we hunted out of for 15 yrs, propane heat & lights, packed in water, Grandpa, Dad, and I , I would give up Gortex and Neopreme in a minute for those days again. We killed DUCKS !!!