Damn Versamax

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Gordy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Gordy

Gordy Elite Refuge Member

After doubling on drake mallards and missing a third, I put the gun down and sent the dog for the retrieves. As soon as he got back with the last bird, a nice flock of mallards started to set in the dekes, I dropped the flopper gates and locked on a drake, pulled the trigger, nothing, pulled again, nothing. Looked at the gun and the bolt was open and the gun was empty, forgot to reload. When will those S.O.B's at Remington make a Versamax that loads itself. Absolutely love this gun.

2. Seaark18

Seaark18 Senior Refuge Member

Darn Remingtons. You should have spent the extra $400-$500 and bought an A400. I heard they'll even clean the birds for you. All kidding aside, I have 2 VersaMaxi, and I think they're the best waterfowling gun currently made.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  3. BLKHEAD

BLKHEAD Elite Refuge Member

Yep. And along with shooting g the shot at the bird, the gun will shoot the barrel cap and sometimes the barrel at the bird making for devastating wound channels.

4. BLKHEAD

BLKHEAD Elite Refuge Member

Dunno, I am digging the super Vinci a little better. That could be personal preference.

5. Alldrakes

Alldrakes Elite Refuge Member

3 waterfowl seasons on my VMax and its been flawless in all kinds of weather, snow, rain, sleet, 12 degree's.......just cycles every time with such little recoil !!

6. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

And i basicaly bought into the versamax deal from reading your take on your gun when you first got it.
    I got my first one about 3 months latter i think.
    I was in need of a replacement for my ageing Baikal MP153 a gun i have had for more than a decade now, i decided i would try a 425 Waterfowl O/U as the Baikal replacement, and allthough i still have this shotgun, i did not like the recoil with heavy Bismuth loads so i decided to look for a semi auto.
    I was going to buy a maxus but decided my History with Remingtons and the good reviews were worth a serious look, i quite by accident bumped noticed a young girl shooting a versamax at a charity clay shoot in Invercargill. A quick chat with her and a round of clays with it and i was hooked on the versamax deal. What a gun they just work so well so reliable and fit like a glove, quite just how these guns dont fit people is beyond me, esspecialy those comparing them to Berettas.:confused:
    I had a stonecoat tekneys Beretta last year a gun i bought at auction to sell on, and the first time i picked that gun up i noticed it felt scarily similar to the versamax:l:l.
    So quite how they fit Some beretta owners so badly is i supose one of those mystreys kind of like cryptid the swamp beast. :joker:l

7. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I will say this the vinchi range are exelent far far superior to the old clickomatic SBEs etc with their rear slush bucket tubes:rolleyes: and fataly flawed design.

8. Gordy

Gordy Elite Refuge Member

Completely forgot, my hunting partner had a benelli "click" on a group setting into the dekes today.

9. jfuller

jfuller Senior Refuge Member

You sir are really quite ignorant. I've read all your posts and everytime you get the chance you bash any gun besides a Remington. I've shot my sbe2 in every condition you can imagine and it's been flawless. The famous benelli click is an operator error not letting the bolt slam shut etc. there are some great guns on the market and I'd put my benelli up against your versamax anyday. I just really wish that you would quit bashing every other gun besides a versamax. There are some great guns out there made by other companies that are just as good, if not better than the versamax, and before you go ranting on about how I've probably never shot one I've shot a versamax sportsman and the waterfowl pro edition. I did not find them that impressive as one jammed on me during early goose season, and it felt like shouldering a two by 4 after shooting my benelli.

10. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

What a load of nonsens you sir need to grow up and read what i said the entire post above is praise to the Benelli vinchi range of shotguns, they sir are not REMINGTONS.:confused: I bash very few guns but i do bash SBEs because they jolly well desserve it, they are the number 1 clickomatic gun ever encountered on a foreshore, they only need breathing on to move them out of batery are a hold spacific shotgun to reliably cycle some loads, i saw one MK2 SBE that jammed regular as clockwork when its owner shot it with a thick equeatrian puffer jacket under his coat, take the puffer jacket off and it cycled ,, nowif thats not hold spacific then i dont know what is.
    Now just because i hit a raw nerve with you and THE GUN MODEL YOU OWN:l, You then go in to attack mode and run off at the mouth with the rest of this guff:fp.
    Get over it man, SBEs are a fataly flawed design, that back spring as a lot to sort out the rotary bolt/ extracto plate, and a host of other things fail on these things regardlessof if you chose to acept hese facts or not.
    The supervinchi is a far far better design than the ancient SBE a layout that dates back to the 121 models. I will bash anything thats sub standard has known problems the makers simply skirt around like the A400s bad welds for example. Now on a 350 dollar Turkish shotgun you could forgive this but not on a relatively expensive shotgun like the A400.
    One other point not directly related to your post, the versamax is a much cheaper shotgun than the A400 extreme the sportsman versamax is close to half the price in acctual fact, i think a few people need to look at this fact and add it in to their equasion when reviewing the versamax a gun which i feel is the best 3.5 inch semi auto ever made so far.
    PS Just in case you get you drop back into pro Benelli attack mode, Look at Benelli M4 tactical its basicaly a versamax :confused: So how can i be accused of bashing Benelli, i am in praise of the whole vinchi range and the tactical M4 so how am i bashing other brands :scratch.
    I dote on anything Browning/ Winchester my favourate brands, for some one who reads all my posts you sure got a lot wrong. :nutz