Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Deadly Tick Carrying Brain Swelling Virus

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by sdkidaho, May 19, 2018.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

"Powassan is mostly found in the northeast but we're not immune here in Idaho, and with so many of us enjoying the outdoors on the greenbelt, hikes like table rock, hunting, jogging, biking, etc... we all need to be a little more aware of what's out there."

Article here:
    http://wow1043.com/deadly-tick-carrying-brain-swelling-virus-in-idaho/

This is twice that I've read about this being in Idaho now... man I HATE ticks!!!

2. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Guys, seriously think about using something like this on your gear when you go out hunting, fishing, hiking, riding, whatever:

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B01M4KFZME

I know scent control is an issue, but I've read about some guys using it anyway during their bow hunts and using the cover-spray to take down it's smell. Better to try and cover that up than catch some nasty disease from a tick.

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

There are so many "natural" occurring plant, animal and insect problems most doctors are unable to diagnose.
    Ive known of two situations where a veterinarian immediately knew a problem that had been going on for months that the MD's didnt know.

4. sdkidaho

What was it?

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Lyme disease before most of the world even knew it existed. My brothers buddy had been getting sicker and weaker over a years plus time. Docs knew his blood was messed up but weren't identifying the cause.
    The other I dont remember the name of what was wrong, The fellow nearly lost his hand, he had been bit by a muskrat . All seemed to heal ok, so the bite wasn't connected to the problem; 6 month later his hand swelled full of infection. What ever the issue it was carried by some rodents