Decoy Forum Sponsors

Decoy painting questions.

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by tradewaterbandit, Feb 8, 2018.

1. tradewaterbandit

tradewaterbandit New Member

i am trying to paint/touch up a bunch of decoys. I am using an airbrush. Does anyone know what type/brand of paint would be best? Also what would be the best sealer/clear coat to use for durability?

Thanks for any help

2. killerv

killerv Elite Refuge Member

I'm assuming you are talking plastic decoys. Not to burst your bubbles, but you will have to baby them if you want it to last. AB paint is thin, going to have to prep them perfectly and start using slotting bags with them for it even to last a few years. They'll definitely need a good base coat, airbrush straight on the plastic is not advised.

If it were me, and I've done a few but passed them on over the years. Clean your birds perfectly, take a wire brush and clean up any factory paint issues. Wipe them down with acetone or alcohol, give them a base coat of krylon fusion. Let cure for several days. Brush paint with a good acrylic like goldens matte or traditions, or liquitex basics matte if you can find them. Airbrush the blends if you feel you must. I use krylon flat clear but there are a bunch of options. I did a couple birds this way, but didn't use an airbrush, and threw them in a regular decoy bag with the others, actually held up OK considering but I promise you you will be fighting a never ending battle keeping them looking good.

Funny, I asked this same question about 10 years ago and the next thing I was carving my own birds.

BenH and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  3. tradewaterbandit

Thanks for the advice. I am working with plastic decoys and I know there may not be a great way to do this. I run a very large number of blocks a lot of the time and I'm just trying to salvage some older ones so detail on these is not that critical. How does the krylon clear hold up to sun and being left out?

Funny you put that last part about you starting to carve your own birds. I have kicked the thought around and researched a lot on this but haven't really taken that step. I take it you hunt over these decoys? I would like to see some of your work if you wouldn't mind Posting a picture or two.

4. killerv

All a clear coat is going to do is give it a sheen that you prefer and somewhat protect the paint. The durability of the paint is more important than the clear coat. With good paint, really don't need to seal or clear a bird. But is does offer another layer of protection and is easy to do so why not.

been keeled since the pic. Cork bird in acrylics.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

You can airbrush Ronan Superfine Japan Colors and it's very durable. It's an oil based paint that dries dead flat. You'll have to thin it, but it works well. However, it's oil based, and it's spendy...$25-$30/qt. Dries very quickly. It actually needs a coat of clear to make the colors pop once it's cured, but it's the best paint I've used.

6. tradewaterbandit

Thanks gene. where can I find that paint?

Awesome decoy killer. You have a real talent. Have you done much with wood or just cork?
    If so what type of wood do you like best for carving?

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

How readily does it burnish? If you give it a fingernail "scratch test," will it shine where scratched?

8. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Killer Ringer, killerv. I have used Flat Marine Enamel with excellent results on both tan cork and wood.

9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Dick Blicks in New York

Scuffs after curing. Once you put a light coat of clear flat that is eliminated.

Kush makes some great FME paint and will match any color you want. Cheaper than Ronan paint. I just haven't used it enough yet to give a good evaluation.

10. killerv

mostly cork, I live middle Ga, I don't have nice stands of white pine or white cedar to go grab from the local sawmill. I use tupelo where needed, heads and tails. I'll do an all tupelo or white cedar bird on occasion. The whole type of wood thing is regional...you carve whats available to you... unless you are into decorative stuff, where tupelo is mostly used. I power carve and tupelo is great for that.