Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Decoy Spread

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by BuffieBuster93, Jan 10, 2019.

1. BuffieBuster93

BuffieBuster93 New Member

Wanted to get some opinions on Open Water River Diver spreads.
    Currently I have One 90 foot long line with 12 decoys on it, mixture of bluebills, ringnecks.
    On top of that I have 8 buffleheads, 17 cans, 2 ringnecks, and about 8 bluebills all on single lines. Also have 6 mallards that I usually throw behind the blind.

Usually I run the longline straight out from the blind towards the left and just kind of mix in the singles to form some type of J pattern. and then I will throw the buffies off to the right separately. I have had mixed results.
    I was curious what everyone else does and any recommendations on my spread, do yall usually separate your different species or mix them all in?

2. OldVA Rebel

OldVA Rebel Refuge Member

more decoys we are throwing 112 now but need more I would like to have 200 buy next year about half and half bluebills and cans with some buffys mixed in I read somewhere that cans are an aggressive bird so always have some bluebills on outside of spread some Buffy deeks mixed in as well but you will notice must of the buffys will skirt outside of gun range I think they are intimidated buy the cans but we still get a few each trip

3. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

Hen Bufflehead decoys pulll drake buffleheads. Real talk.

4. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Been thinking of selling my dipper rig...350 single-rigged, fully flocked, magnum GHG Bufflehead decoys. This may be the right time, but will not break up the rig and sell part of it...all or nothing.

Valleyhonker likes this.
  5. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Good gawd, didn't know there were rigs of dipper decoys like that!

6. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

No way you will ever sell it as one lot... everybody knows anymore than 5 bufflehead decoys is to many! That's at least 70 happy bufflehead shooters worth of decoys.

7. OldVA Rebel

OldVA Rebel Refuge Member

bwahahaha

8. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Dipper rig = Couple of old faded standard size mallard decoys, repainted to look mostly black and white, sunny calm day on the shoreline, sunglasses, lawn chairs, couple of cold beers (or Hostess Mini Chocolate covered Donettes, if you are so inclined) and a zip bag of random, old/partially rusted shells of all makes and sizes. More fun than an American should have!

9. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Perfect!

10. VA marsh rat

VA marsh rat Senior Refuge Member

My 3 lines are 60ā€™ long, with about 18 birds per line, spaced at 3ā€™ with a random gap or two. Iā€™m looking to get the dense flock look. I will anchor them slightly crossways to the wind so each line forms a big U or Nike swoosh. I add a few bluebill and canvasback v-board silhouettes closer to the boat.

OldVA Rebel likes this.