decoying and calling divers

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by eagle rider, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

A Hanson diver call was originally made in 1914 in Minnesota. You can still get them on ebay. The Screener is a reproduction of a Hanson, also a sponsor here. I love to here the stories that go with the calls, and I have a few of my own. They work!

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I hunt a small, 30yd wide, marsh pothole that doesn't see remotely as much natural dive (or teal) traffic as our more open or broken marsh blinds, and much of our diver take can be credited to "called" as opposed to "passing" birds. We only rarely see passing cans, redheads or scaup, but it's far, far rarer that those within hearing won't about turn inside-out for "burr"ing through a mallard call with my soft palate, as if starting to gargle. Just about as sure of a thing in calling as I've seen.

Ringnecks are another matter. Many winter in our marsh and generally travel the same more watery routes well away from my hole as those less common visitors, but their response to burring is a lot more hit and miss, weighted heavily toward the later. Presumably because they either know my hunted-daily blind or where they want to be elsewhere in the marsh. I would think that if they were appreciably more responsive to hen mallard calls here, we'd see a lot more inadvertently, as most would consider me a very aggressive caller over the course of most mornings - and I've initially mistaken ringnecks for bluewings more often than I might wish.

Could also note that when I hunted flooded ag land where ringnecks were rare, they weren't just far and away more susceptible to burring but could usually be counted upon to try landing with the small pod of decoys of their kind that I've long since quit bothering with in my current location.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  3. iaduckhunter

iaduckhunter Senior Refuge Member

I use the Haydel Diver Call. I have seen quite a few divers turn using that especially bluebills. I use the widgeon whistle sometimes. Redheads respond well to that.

4. Capt. John Stieben

Capt. John Stieben Refuge Member Sponsor

The widgeon whistle does get the attention of redheads, was in south Texas last month and at times it at least got them to take a look and sometimes that's all you need. I can see why it works though you see widgeons free loading around them huge rafts of redheads.

5. SCREENER

SCREENER Senior Refuge Member

Every situation is different.My hunting from others.Background 50 years of diver hunting on two of the great lakes ERie and Ontario.Big water!Method of hunting was sneakboat style.Compitition an outfit every 2 hundred yards apart 100 decoys each 200 yards off shore.When birds are flying a mile or two away a loud diver call is a must.Now a person who knows how to properly blow one is rare,because most of us have passed away.My history comes from experiece from exposure to market hunters that I litterally picked their brains of all the information about diver hunting.If I told you you could call 500 divers in amorning would you believe me?If I told you the most divers I ever called in to 45 decoys was probably3_4 thousand from 2 to 3 miles away out into the lake?a call on any given day does not deliver birds but I will always have one.There is a highball call for divers but most hunters use the purring call.Redheads and scaup like a higher tone and canvasback a lower tone.Check out you tube titled screening.There is no sound,this was shot in suer 8 back in the 60"s These areas are now multi million dollar homes, the birds no longer.My biggest regret is that I was born 50 years too late. Watch the video carefully to see the birds in them.Diver calling is the best kept secret in duck hunting

c

CNBarron likes this.
  6. CNBarron

CNBarron New Member

It wasn't until the last Saturday of this season that I realized there was a highball for bluebills. The first birds that came in on me were a pair drake and hen. I made a clean shot on the drake and immediately started looking for the hen (wasn't being picky thanks to our poor season). I didn't see where she went until I started hearing a four note, spaced out raspy, grunt/squeal. She was in the blocks. I copied that call as best I could with a Haydel's blue wing teal call and managed to decoy 400+ birds for the next hour and a half. They seemed to like the highball from afar and purring up close. Unfortunately I was solo and my 3 bird limit came before the action really took off, but it was incredible to see them respond so well to calling especially at the very end of the season.