Deer Hunting Guide Service in CA?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by LeakyW8ers, Aug 11, 2017.

1. nicapopolis

nicapopolis Senior Refuge Member

Don't do this... unless a guide has found a whopper buck living in the park that he can follow out for you. This tag is much much better than a Goodale tag. BUT there may be A great buck in that country waiting for you.

With a tag like this there are only a handful of bucks in the state you might want to shoot. The hope is someone has a tab on one.

I have 3 little ones at home. If I got a tag like this I would shell out the money for the right guide in a heart beat. No way in hell I could find the time for the amount of scouting this tag requires.

There could be a NE CA alfalfa fed buck with your name on it.

Good luck!

blackdog58 likes this.
  2. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Refuge Member

3. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Refuge Member

Don't hunt a are that is one of the last seasons of the year, dec? With a record of monster bucks taken? Brilliant !

tule likes this.
  4. nicapopolis

No doubt Goodale might be the best hunt you can apply for in the state, but it isn't what it used to be when it comes to genetics. If you see anything 170" or above you better smoke it. A 160's buck is probably more realistic these days and that might even be tough.

The open zone deer tag is a whole different caliber than Goodale.

I think the OP is looking for a buck of a lifetime and everyone has their own definitions of that.

By hiring the right guide the OP could be tagged out well before Goodale even starts.

Also, CA could produce a serious blacktail... so there is that option as well.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 9:46 AM
  5. Specktacular

Specktacular Senior Refuge Member

Do you have any idea how much time it takes to scout even a single unit, much less the entire state?? Guides are for smart people who work for a living and realize there are other more important things(like supporting a family) than spending every waking moment of every day scouting the entire state for a deer worthy of the tag.

6. Greenscott

Greenscott Refuge Member

Why don't you quote my apology and stop throwing your synical cosmopolitan fuel on the fire.

7. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Well i know of a 42 inch buck that got shot off the Goodale tag last year...

If you are wanting to hunt a Northern X zone, X5b, X6a, X6b, X7a, X7b are good choices. Some really nice deer have been killed out of X2, but a lot of that is on fire right now. X4 can produce good bucks, i personally have seen some in the 30 inch range, all on private though. There are some bomber bucks in X7a, either mostly on private or up in the high country that most people dont want to go to.

Dustin is a pretty good guide, i saw a buck that he killed two years ago that was 35". Id give him a call if X6a, X6b, or X7a were in your radar.
    http://5voutfitters.com/Hunting.php

8. nicapopolis

Oh it can happen, but just like it can in some other zones as well.

I didn't want the OP putting all his eggs in Goodale.

9. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I don't know of many places in Ca that you could kill a 35" plus buck, neck there ain't that many places left you can kill a buck over 30". Sure there are little pockets in some zones that have been burners like that but they are either in places you can't get access to (private or state/federal sanctuaries) or places so rough a mountain goat would have a hard time gettin in to. Goodale, Devils Garden, Bass Hill, East Lassen, Horse Lake, Anderson Flat, and Round Valley are probably your best options to kill a huge buck in this state. Doyle would be good had half the zone not burned up. It's ultimately all up to the OP but if I were him id look really hard at the late rifle, archery, and black powder hunts.

nicapopolis and tule like this.
  10. tule

tule Elite Refuge Member

Bro, go to G3, the Good Dale Hunt. You need not look anywhere else. Seriously. You can hunt right out of Lone Pine and its a mostly set-up the spotting scope and glass, glass, glass from the valley floor up into the hills. No real need for a guide, save your money.