DF&W Changes?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by ducslayer, May 14, 2018.

1. ducslayer

ducslayer Elite Refuge Member

If you could change something about the way DF&W handles things what would it be?

One thing for me is trout plants would be done at night so we might stop feeding the cormorants and pelicans.

Another is Wardens would treat you with respect while being checked out.

What would you change?

2. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Turkey tags and management of said turkeys.

• Municipalities are being overrun with birds that can/should be trapped and moved to public land to offer more opportunity.
    • Turkey tags to keep people from shooting more than their 3 a season.

3. Powder

Powder Elite Refuge Member

Below is my short list, which I believe would help eliminate a lot of the problems to begin with:

1.Employees need to have a valid hunting and fishing license to be employed in any capacity whatsoever...from the janitor, to the warden, to the director.

2. An understanding of conservation, biology, firearms, and outdoor heritage.

3. Members of PETA and HSUS need not apply (or any other anti group).

4. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

This for sure...

CA used to manage turkeys, now they don’t...

At the very least, don’t pretend to manage them by having drawings, special hunts, etc.

I guess we’ll just have to kill them all, and hope the graybeards of the N W T F feel like saving them again...

J.Bennett and Dan Mallia like this.
  5. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I'm also for turkey tags. Keep every numbnuts that hunts the dove opener from thinking they have to hunt turkey opener also just because the stamp lets them. Plus the other stuff that Dan and Mudhen mentioned.

Dan Mallia likes this.
  6. Powder

Powder Elite Refuge Member

Turkeys managing turkeys...CDFW.

mudhen, Dan Mallia and JuvieCoot like this.
  7. Dan Mallia

One deer tag...........

freefall and mudhen like this.
  8. Dan Mallia

Also known as "PHWC" (Pheasant Hunters Wearing Camo)

JuvieCoot and mudhen like this.
  9. sisqsprig

sisqsprig Senior Refuge Member

Not likely to happen. From what I remember, the California Native Plant Society sued DFW over their turkey program because DFW failed to conduct a CEQA analysis to determine the impacts turkeys were having on threatened native plants. DFW struggles to get their CEQA documents written for more important species like deer and elk, I doubt seriously they care if they do one for turkeys and in all honesty they probably were grateful for the lawsuit so there was one less thing they had to worry about. Let's face it, turkeys just do much better in municipalities than they do on public land. It'll always be that way.

As far as tags go, having two tags doesn't stop the outlaws from shooting more than two deer. I doubt it will stop anyone from shooting more than their limit on turkeys. Honest hunters will obey the limits, outlaws wont'. I actually like not having turkey tags, it would just be another big expense that would increase in price 3% every year and in 10 years everyone would be complaining about the price of turkey tags. At least this way I have no expectations on where my money is going.

ducslayer likes this.
  10. sisqsprig

sisqsprig Senior Refuge Member

This ^^^^ 100%. And do away with The Big Green. Break the B Zones back into individual units instead of a tag being good in the whole north state. Might have seemed like a good idea back in 92 but it didn't work. Change it back.

beandog and Dan Mallia like this.