Diver Longline/decoy spread question

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by jammem, Jan 7, 2019.

1. jammem

jammem New Member

Situation:
    I'm limited to one specific spot from the bank
    River is oriented North/South
    Wind from the north
    Current from the south

I'm new to diver hunting, just wondering if there is any prevailing wisdom on how to orient longlines or decoy spread in general when the current and wind are going opposite directions.
    Thanks for any help

2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I use Herter's 72's almost exclusively now. Because they don't have much of a keel the wind usually swings them more than the current so I'm usually okay. But, my big LL Bean coastal decoys have sizable wooden keels and would sometimes have their backs to the wind so I drilled a hole in the back of the keel and set a stainless screw with about 1/2" of the shaft out near the hole. When necessary I would run the line through the hole and over the screw so the attachment was from the back and the decoys would face the wind.

Billy Bob likes this.
  3. Patodor

Patodor Senior Refuge Member

I cut a notch in the back end of every keel that can snugly hold the drop line and turn the decoy’s rear against the current. With divers, I keep all facing into the wind.

4. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Overthinking it. Just set your rig. If you aren't landing the birds where you want either shift the decoys around or you move.

5. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy New Member

I alway try to run my lines with the current when hunting a river. When I see live ducks on the river they are always lined up with the current. Then I put my loose decoys where I want to land them.

If you are in the right spot and the birds want in they will work your spread regardless of the winds.