Diver rig getting too large?f long lines you use and how many on a line and the total line length.

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Irish eyes, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Senior Refuge Member

picked up some canvas back decoys for this season. Also scored two dozen mixed divers for two boxes of shells. If I keep the decoys to 12 per long line, I will be putting out 6 long lines of a dozen on each.
    I think the rig will be getting too wide. If lines are ten feet apart it would be 60 foot wide and probably wider than that when finished putting them out.
    Will I be better putting more decoys on each line and using fewer lines. Should I keep decoys at present separation and use longer lines or put decoys closer on the long line.
    What is the number of lines you put out?

2. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

Our standard diver rig for hunting from a boat blind is 6 long lines with 15-18 decoys per line. Lines are 150' with the last 25' of each end having no decoys.

For layout hunting anywhere from 6-8 lines with similar number of decoys per line. More lines isn't an issue from the layout as we typically anchor it in the middle of the spread.

3. wvlippo

wvlippo Senior Refuge Member

we usually hunt 8 to 14 dozen decoys. Most on long lines.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

That's too many...

5. Decoyin Drake

Decoyin Drake Senior Refuge Member

We run mostly " Plunkers" single rig decoys around the layout usually 50-60 then three mainlines
    2 Parallel in a bananna shape leading into the main body of the spread with 9 decoys each then another short mainline as a blocker with 9 more. Typically 80 decoys total all Toledo Magnum burlaps.