Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

DIY caribou hunt. Ammo question.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by The Other David, Mar 27, 2019.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

That is a LOT of skinning, cleaning, and hauling!

Tell me about your trip.

2. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Fly in, Guided hunt in 2002. Two Caribou per license.

Ungava peninsula, Quebec, CA

Walked and glassed the Mountain tops for Caribou. We passed on a some calves and cows. On day three the two bulls walked up and around the hill towards my wife and I. They stopped and stared at us. They weren’t big bulls but the first two we saw. My wife was not in a position to shoot nor was her gun within arms reach. So I shot them both. I made two trips with a pack full of meat and a set of antlers to the seaplane 3/4 mile away and the guide made one trip with a half a pack of meat.

The meat was quartered with the bones in the meat.

My wife wanted a big bull. But we didn’t see any within range. Saw a gigantic bull a mile away. Another hunter tried to close the distance but it disappeared by the time he got there.

Day four my wife shot a cow four miles from the boat. One 75 yard shot. Died in its tracks. The guide and I packed it out in one trip no problem.

Day five my wife shot another cow. Hit it in the leg with the first shot and killed it with the second. 100 yards.

Caribou are 350-400lbs but mostly skin and bones. Not as much meat as you would think. We ate Caribou for 2.5 years. We cut it up ourselves but I wish I would have had some one who know how to do it cut it for us.

We only saw nine Caribou, plus a sow black bear with two cubs in six days.

My wife used a Remington model 7 youth model 7mm-08 with 140g Remington PSP.

3. SB2MAG

Glassing is key. When the Caribou lay down around noon. They look like one of the 5 million rocks.

4. SB2MAG

Wear gortex and fleece layers. Get a good pack. I used a Swiss army waterproof rubberized canvass with a steel internal frame. Bought it for $8. Well worth it.

5. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

SST's get a bad rap. Not sure why, I'm more of an accubond or partition guy, so that what I stick with.

While I've never shot at caribou, they don't strike me as particularly stout game (as mentioned by others) , I would use whatever you are confident in.

6. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Senior Refuge Member

Been 4 times to the Ungava region when you could still afford to go we hit major migration twice. It was the best deal in hunting for a long time. Total cost was around $2300 for a fly in hunt 2 caribou. Cost since quadrupled and I think it is closed now. My 14 year old son went the last time. I shot two every time including 6 big bulls. I used a 7 X 57 with 145 grn. Speers one trip my son used it on another, a .270 with 130 grn. Noslers Solid Base once, 7MM -08 145 Speers and shot my biggest bull with a bow. They are not hard to kill at all, but where you are going its not the only big game animal up there you may have to deal with so I'd opt for at least a .270 . They were fun to hunt and the brook trout and lake trout fishing there was insane. Good luck have fun