DIY plumbing, Upnor propex good bad and the ugly

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Apr 1, 2019.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

Not even close out here at least.
    Nothing over three stories can be piped in any type of plastic pipe whether it's water, condensate or DWV.

2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

He’s referring to the need for union residential plumbers. At least I think.

RTIC and callinfowl like this.
  3. callinfowl

Ah, my mistake.....I miss understood.:tu:tu:tu

4. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

You need a licensed plumber here. Even for residential. That doesn't include home repairs though, only work where you have a building permit.

5. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

Correct

6. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

My son is just starting his 2nd year in the apprentice program for plumbers, he loves it! Was telling me the other day that they brought in a pipe threader and a bunch of galvanized pipe, most of the class had never used metal pipe. My son works for a contractor in Portland. They have their own master plumber who my son works directly under. All they do is metal, they restore old office buildings. In fact he was down at the house last week and ran a propane line for my dryer.

Seriously though, my water will eat copper pipes. I'm served by a small water company (130 houses) we have issues with iron bacteria, and the water is extremely hard, it'll clog a shower head in a month, a faucet aerator in a couple weeks, a slow drip will also stain the porcelain orange within a week. People who have replaced their galvanized with copper have had multiple leak issues within a few years of installation. I don't drink the water, I drink bottled water.

callinfowl likes this.
  7. callinfowl

Heavy levels of iron bacteria in water can cause electrolysis, so can unlined metal holding tanks, water heaters or even one black or galvanized nipple in the system that doesn't have dielectric protection, IE. at least 6'' brass nipple or dielectric union. Heck, even copper hung by any type of metal strapping Those old wire coated nail in pipe hangers are nortorious for causing elect. leaks. Contact with anything metal will eventually eat away at copper piping. It's not a matter of if will happen it's a matter of when. I forgot you were on well water.:tu

WoodieSC likes this.
  8. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Same as copper with propress fittings. Which look better than sweat fittings...

callinfowl likes this.
  9. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

The (expander) fittings have a bigger ID which allows for more flow. Most residential applications it doesn’t matter. Crimps are quicker and easier to use, imo. Especially if you use a powered crimp tool.

Lip Shooter and callinfowl like this.
  10. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator

When we designed and spec’d out our present house, I originally spec’d copper water lines. However, the builder ( well rated by many for custom homes in the area ) suggested I change to CPVC due to problems he was seeing with the copper quality at the time (early to mid-90’s). He claimed that due to iron contamination in the copper, ‘they’ were seeing pinhole leaks after 20-25 years or so. So I changed.

Now after 24 years and having done a number of projects and repairs, I’m quite concerned that the CPVC is all very brittle and cringe at the thought of what could happen one of these days.

Fwiw, unlike many/most homeowners, I can sweat copper fittings and have used copper in some repair areas where it makes sense.

I will use PEX, however, inside PVC, to replace the leaking hot water line to the (detached) garage. The problem there is to get to the leak inside the garage foundation and under the slab. Apparently the original plumber used that crappy mobile home gray pipe for that hot water line.

callinfowl likes this.