Dodge 1500 eco diesel owners

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by fboutdoors, Mar 2, 2016.

1. fboutdoors

fboutdoors Senior Refuge Member

Looking for info from anyone who owns a dodge ecodiesel been looking at then for a few months and probably going to pull the trigger on buying one this weekend or next week any reviews would be appreciated just in case I'm missing something that doesn't make this a good truck motor combo.

Not looking for a I like ford I like chevy bla bla bla just looking for some info from anyone who owns or knows someone that owns this set up

2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I have one. 2015 with 24000 trouble free miles. I average 25-26 mpg in combined city and highway. Strait highway trips I have averaged as high as 32 mpg. I love it. I recently changed out the ECM for one programmed by Green Diesel Engineering. More power, faster turbo spool up, better throttle response, deletes the egr and cleaner burning. Best $750 I've ever spent. I strongly recommend the truck. The UConnect radio Ram has is bomb. Way better then the Ford sync crap the ol' lady has.

3. buck_master_2001

Don't let the oil change stuff scare you away either. I change it every 8-10k. I buy a filter online ( dealership wants like $60). I use Rotella T-6 oil as well. I bought a fuel filter online too and just changed it. Very easy to do. I cannot say enough good things about this truck. I came from a hemi so I was worried about the power being an issue but it's never been an issue. With the ECM upgrade its putting out just under 500 lbs/ft torque. It's incredibly smooth.

4. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Since Ford and Chevy don't have diesels in their 1500/f150 trucks, shouldn't have to worry about that comparison.

Seems like they all should have had diesels out for this size truck for a long time, so it is interesting they have finally got one. When I web search for "dodge eco diesel" the first picks that come up are "dodge eco diesel problems", though. Has this engine been out long enough to get a read on that? If their initial problems get resolved, they should sell a few.

5. buck_master_2001

You can google enough problem from any make of truck to scare you away. I'm sure like anything else they had issues at first release.

6. fboutdoors

I am aware there is not any other diesel in this truck class just didn't want a u need a hemi or v6 debate. Thanks for the replies so far. Glad to here u have had no problem if you don't mind me asking what model is ur truck (tradesman, ect)

7. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

The Nissan Titan now comes with a Cummins 5.0 option, saw them just the other day. Doubt it gets the mileage, but still a 1/2 ton.

8. Humboldt Hunter

Humboldt Hunter Senior Refuge Member

While I was working at a nursery we had to load all makes and styles of trucks. I do remember a economy diesel truck being loaded with a average amount of weight and it was sacked out! I believe the truck didn't have the airbags. After seeing that I would make sure if I bought one that it would have the airbag setup installed. Another thing about those trucks is they have a coil type rear suspension. I've never owned a truck with coil rears but have been told that they are horrible for towing long distances. Something about swaying side to side. I still like those trucks and would love to get one. Just food for thought. Not bashing them, just talked over the pros and cons with buddies and the coil rear was the main issue that came up.

9. buck_master_2001

Big horn, 4x4, crew cab. I dont tow anywhere close to the max of my truck but I do tow my 1854 prodigy with a surface drive. With it loaded up with 6 dozen decoys, all of the hunting gear and 2 other guys I still got almost 21 mpg on a 200 mile tow. My hemi got 12 mpg with that same set up.

10. fboutdoors

Ya big horn may be out of my price range but looking at a tradesman or larimine model will have to check into the rear coil thanks for that information. The fuel mileage and still having a truck is what I'm looking for have a f 150 with v8 and hinting trips hauling a trailer or boat it just sucks fuel to much for what I'm looking for