Dodge 1500 eco diesel owners

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by fboutdoors, Mar 2, 2016.

1. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Have no knowledge related to the new stuff (eco etc) if they may or may not be different, but it's been my experience that prices can vary widely amongst different regions, businesses, connections, etc.

I've heard it said that due to how some more rural guys (large volume of trucks and equipment handled as opposed to a city guy) can buy and get rid of oil, they can afford to do it cheaper. Don't know if that's accurate or not.

Could also just be preference on the oil used.

2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Well Chrysler uses this special Pennzoil euro platinum. It's hard to find in a store but you can buy 12 quarts and a filter online for like $130. I buy the filter online and shell Rotella T6 at the store. All together it's just under $100.

3. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Given that you're doing it yourself for that and the prices you quoted, the $200 doesn't surprise me. It's no longer an available option for me but a country guy I was using at his own rural shop was significantly cheaper than city places. (7.3 Powerstroke).

I'll probably go back to doing it myself like I used to.

4. Chris-ND

Chris-ND Refuge Member

Company truck, so all maintance costs are run thru the business. Just had the oil changed and fuel filter (35000 miles suggested) plus an extra filter for emergencies if needed and the bill was right at 300.00. The dealership has been good for service and the sale of the truck.

I love the performance of the truck pulling my trailer and the ride. I was nervous buying a RAM after years of good luck with Ford, but the Eco-diesel motor looked like just what I needed. So far it has.

5. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I was the first to buy one in this area. Another guy I know traded his after 6 months. Spent 30 days in the shop with a chronic CEL issue.
    Last I knew Rotella T-6 does not meet the MS-11106 requirement

6. buck_master_2001

I was worried at first until I found out the reason why they say it doesn't meet that requirement. Chrysler simply never paid to test that oil. If you notice only the euro oils are "rated" for this engine. The guys at GDE run T-6 and several dealers I called actually use that oil. It seemed like a no brainier to me. I guess time will tell!

7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Lots of guys over at Ram1500diesel had to tell the dealer what oil was supposed to be used in it because the dealer just assumed it used Rotella like the Cummins.

8. buck_master_2001

I figure if the experts who beat on test these engines use T-6 then it's good for me. The manufactures always have some kind of crazy thing trying to get you to use a certain product.

9. frozen okie

frozen okie Senior Refuge Member

Is there any tranny issues with the new dodge?

10. buck_master_2001

None that I've heard of. In sure there's isolated ones as usual. The tranny works flawlessly. It's smooth and it's always in the right gear. I almost pulled the trigger on a Silverado but I hated the way the tranny shifted. Not to mention it just felt gutless. Obviously time will tell.