Does the paint have to cure?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Husker, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Husker

Husker Senior Refuge Member

I just finished painting my decoys with latex and I thought I read somewhere that the paint has to cure for quite a while before you put them in the water or put a clear coat on them.

I sprayed a couple with the Krylon 1311 and tested them the next morning and the paint scratched off pretty easily. Is more than one coat necessary or did I not wait long enough. All suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

what kind of decoys?

I don't use latex on any of my decoys, so can't help you there. I prime with rustoleum light grey automotive primer, then paint with Lacquer airbrush paint, then detail with Jo Sonja. On plastics I only use the airbrush. On the foamers and corks I put a coat of matte American Accents and a coat of Krylon 3530 flat over the paint. I've been hunting over the wood duck foamers that are pictured on my website and putting them in the decoy bag with everything else and no marks on them at all.

3. Husker

Husker Senior Refuge Member

Most of them are Flambeaus.

4. gwdecoys

gwdecoys Elite Refuge Member

plastic and latex does not necessarily mix!:dv --course, you can go through all kinds of voodoo and it might stick, but the expense and time are not worth it, in my opinion!

5. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I do all my repaints with a lacquer airbrush paint on plastics. I have to touch them up every two or three years. I kind of enjoy the repainting process, so don't mind the chipping once in awhile. You can use the auto primer and increase your ability to get the paint to stick probably. The paint kits you can buy from cabelas might be the way to go if you are handpainting. They aren't great and do scratch off too, but it's about as good as the original flambeau paint.

6. SwampHunter

SwampHunter Elite Refuge Member

Tough call man. I have never used latex on plastics. Of course I have used acrylics and had good luck with them, but most of that's due to surface prep.

7. Flutterin'_Wings

Flutterin'_Wings Elite Refuge Member

i used herters paint(which is laytex) on some plastics and had mixed results. The ones i flashes witha torch are sticking, but the ones i did arent...

laytex isnt flexible, and platics are