Dog tore her cruciate ligament - looking for some help

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by lewdogg21, Jul 17, 2018.

1. lewdogg21

lewdogg21 Senior Refuge Member

Hi All,
    My 9.5 year old female lab torn her Cruciate ligament (ACL in humans) on July 8th (a week ago Sunday). Being her age and cost I'm not rushing towards surgery as from reading and talking to my vet you have a 50% rate of the dog tearing the ligament in the other knee. She's a high strung hard charging dog Hightest pedigree so my assumption is that she would become part of the 50% who tear the other leg or worse. Then I'm out $8k+ with a dog that can't hunt and is 10+ years old and too broken down to live out her life in comfort.

She's currently on a sedative and Rimadyl for about 1 more weeks until another follow up to see how she's getting along. I've had my regular vet and the vet who did the xrays (different practice since my normal vet was on vacation that week) both tell me they think it's torn. We've added CBD oil (cannibus)to her diet 2x a day and bought some essential oils after getting some feedback from other pet owners on a local FB group in an effort to make her more comfortable. Yeah, yeah it may be snake oil but it's cheap and worth a try so please don't give me any **** about it. This has been really hard for my wife and I.

For those of you who have dealt with this what did/have you done and how did it turn out? My wife are looking into all means including holistic.
    We have an appointment with a Vet who does Platelet Rich Plasma injections.

https://dogkneeinjury.com/platelet-rich-plasma-prp-injections-dogs/

If you've dealt with this please post or pm. I live in the Sacramento area.

Roxy injured.jpg

Thanks,
    Lewis

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Damn, that sucks bad, sorry to hear.
    Which brand CBD are you using on her? I've read quite a bit on this subject, make sure it is Co2 extracted and lab tested for heavy metals and pesticides.
    How much is cheap if you don't mind me asking?

3. bojingles

bojingles Elite Refuge Member

Many on here have had this with their dogs—including myself. Doing the surgery will probably be the best money you have ever spent. Go see dr JT vida at vista vet off green haven. Very well known and great at the surgery. If you are concerned about her blowing out the other one, then retire her or hunt her less. At least with the surgery you know she can live the rest of her golden years in comfort and with ability to do anything.

Surgery has done wonders for my dog and no issues with the other leg thus far going on four years later.

callinfowl and Wareagle1 like this.
  4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

My Springer "Scout" blew his out 4 months ago and I had the surgery done by Pet Care in Santa Rosa. It was $5000 and I really liked the Surgeon. Scout has been on a very careful recovery exercise program. So far he is doing well, hard to hold him back. Starting light water work exercise next week.

callinfowl likes this.
  5. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

My last CBR female blew hers out at age 7. Had the TPLO surgery done and she recovered fast. I thought that she would damage the other knee but never did. Like bojingles said it was the best money I ever spent. If you can afford the TPLO surgery, do it for your girl.

6. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

What a tough call. 5 grand on a 9.5 year old dogs ACL. Question, since I do not know, what kind of quality of life would a dog have with a torn ACL if you let it heal as much as it would on its own? Obviously no hunting, but would the dog be able to get around and not be in pain?

7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Dr. Vida at Greenhaven like bojingles and others did my lab. She was 2 at the time. Also, other procedures to fix as at that age as not so worried about arthritis as TPLO surgery is to avoid arthritis in the joint and with young dogs that is major concern.

8. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

At ten, I would let it heal and let her enjoy retirement.

ryemnh and lewdogg21 like this.
  9. lewdogg21

lewdogg21 Senior Refuge Member

FwiW she is limping still but puts weight on it. I caught her running back from going potty to get fed yesterday. She's a tough sob. Keep the replies coming as I appreciate it.

10. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

It won't heal itself if it is torn. Dog will compensate for it and that is what usually causes the blow out in the other knee.

Phytoplankton likes this.