California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Dog training

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Haymaker, May 29, 2019.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I can think of a whole lot more examples of bad fit with a trainer's methods than dogs with no drive and would keep looking.

2. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Steve will tell you up front that if he thinks a dog lacks the drive he’ll tell you to come and pick it up. If your dog has been coddled, Steve probably isn’t your guy IMO.

Solanoduckhunter likes this.
  3. bunktheclown

bunktheclown Refuge Member

Took my second pointer to a kennel / trainer in knights landing for an evaluation as he was a touch gun shy and wanted a "professional" opinion on how to fix it. The "trainer" then proceeded to drag my dog around on a 20ft lead trying to get him to point on some coturnix quail. After about 10 minutes of this he says your dog has no drive and will probably never hunt. I bought a half dozen of the quail from him and home we went. I worked with him daily and now he is a machine. Guess my point is some dogs and trainers just don't fit. Nobody knows your dog like you do. Like others have mentioned take 15-20 min a day and work with him. The little coturnix quail are great for this.

good luck

4. Solanoduckhunter

Solanoduckhunter Senior Refuge Member

Agree 100%, I know Steve well, he is straight up with clients and I’ve witnessed him do exactly what you stated several times.

5. 831duckhunter

831duckhunter New Member

I spoil my 4 month old and she has a crazy prey drive. Are you guys saying if you spoil your dog they won’t hunt? I know plenty of guys who’s dogs are spoiled and they hit the “on” switch when it’s time to work

6. DkKiller&Max

DkKiller&Max Elite Refuge Member

I’m reading this as the “on” button may not have been pushed. Your usually going to know at a very early age if there’s desire to retrieve, hunt etc.

7. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

I don’t think it is uncommon for retrievers to lack some interest in fetching birds. I was devastated when my my 7 month old would not bring back a fresh bird. Frozen yes, bumpers yes, tennis balls yes. Fresh killed birds no. He would go after them, then look at me and stood there. I tried to real him in with rope. He still ignored the fresh killed bird. He got a little excited with pigeons, but not crazy.

I took him to a local “Pro”. She put a collar on him, and shocked the Sh** out of him. And, I got the old he might make a good pet speech. This was 20 years ago. Still despise that b****. She didn’t have a clue. My first retriever- and I was devastated.

Bramble turned out to be an outstanding marker and took a line like a laser beam. He was an excellent pheasant dog and would hunt dead with the best of em. He put up hundreds of birds and retrieved many more in the swamp.

The desire was there, it was just a little tardy.

The retrieving of fresh birds was accomplished after I Force fetched him.
    Just an FYI. A few labs later, I realize they all have different personalities.

You know your dog better than anyone else! Or you should. Put in your time, they give us so much!

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    API likes this.
  8. Kornfed

Kornfed Senior Refuge Member

Try a local feed store. They didn't have any on hand but gave me the number of a fella that sells them.

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

That's how some folks have found my loft. Never charged a thing for a couple or three training birds, and you're apt to find a casual keeper of a similar bent.

10. ducky911

ducky911 Elite Refuge Member

Here is an experienced trainer very close to you. I spent 30 min with him 20 years ago when I bought a ecollar from him. I ended up training myself but can still remember things he taught me in a very short time. Also a buddy at my duck club had a very troubled dog and took him to Dennis Hayre in Lodi ...did a fine job.

Dobbs Training Center
    Website
    Directions
    Save

3.0Address: 9627 Spring Valley Rd, Marysville, CA 95901

Hours:
    Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Mon

Phone: (530) 741-0375