Dove recipes to share ??

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Sep 3, 2017.

1. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

I filleted some breasts off the bone last night and marinated for an hour in Worcester and soy sauce. Sautéed them on high heat with garlic olive oil real fast not to over cook. Took them off sautéed some peppers and then threw breasts and green onions back in for about 30 seconds. Ate with a little white rice.

Tom the breast bones and made some broth with them. Browned in pot with olive oil and salt and pepper. Then added 3 celery stalks, 1 large carrot, bay leave and Italian seasoning. Covered with water and reduced for about 4 hours. Salt to taste.

IMG_7608.JPG IMG_7609.JPG

bullpinnie and Buttesmacker like this.
  2. Buttesmacker

Buttesmacker Senior Refuge Member

That's a super clean bbq grill. Mines never look the same again after one use.

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Poppers_zps7d936e19.jpg
    Salt, pepper, garlic, hatch peppers, bacon, hoisin sauce.

4. Real Green

Real Green Elite Refuge Member

Salt and sugar brine. Over the last few years I have used a brine for dove. We have done multiple side by side comparisons and the results have always been night and day improvement on texture and taste.

However I cook dove, they are always in a brine for a day before hand.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I fillet them off the bone, marinate them in Tony Chachere's, bread them and fry them...

Or... marinate them in Tony Chachere's, put them on the grill for a couple minutes and eat them.

Not a fan of wrapping them in bacon... To me it would be similar as wrapping a good steak in bacon. Yes, the beacon keeps the juices in, but also makes the birds taste like beacon.

We shoot a lot of dove, and I am not a fan of complicated cooking. Admittedly, it does take longer to fillet them off the bone, than pulling the whole bone out, but they do cook a lot better (in my opinion) when you can cook each side evenly.

6. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Lots of great ideas.. thanks guys !!!

Back in the day my grandmother made a buttery egg noodle giblet dish that was to die for and I been trying to find out how it was done..with no luck so I ended up with a deep red wine egg noodle dish that was.... well I ate it all !!!!

Giblets from a few birds of mine and buddies (because most guys toss the goodies) and added a couple fileted dove breast for flavor..

[​IMG]

Done and gone !!

[​IMG]

bojingles and CADUCKWHACKER like this.
  7. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

Mark if you have enough save me 10 or so doves (whole) and I'll whip up an Italian dove braise in Dutch Oven and we'll eat it piping hot one chilly morning during season.

Dandy

8. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Pluck 'em, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Stuff with some herbs (rosemary, thyme, whatever is growing like a weed around the house), maybe a grape or two (like the idea about chunks of pineapple) and then grill, real quick, maybe basting with some bacon drippings or other fat when flipping.

I can eat a whole platter of 'em.

CADUCKWHACKER likes this.
  9. chubby

chubby Senior Refuge Member

Who ever raised you raised you right. Cut the back out of the bird with sheers. (easier to clean) Salt and pepper and grill on the BBQ (Treager) Nothing wrong with the legs. Just don't over cook the bird.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    CADUCKWHACKER likes this.
  10. ricer man

ricer man Senior Refuge Member

lazy people hunt too