Drive belt troubles

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Ringbill, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Well, I got my rig back from the MUDBUDDY dealer & they put a new belt on it.
    I ran it around for maybe an hour & it was ok.
    Got up in shallow water, could feel the prop hitting mostly sand on some hard bottom.
    Bingo-----just that quick, no prop turning
    No belt noise like before when it broke
    A long pushpole back to the landing.

Called dealer service manager
    composed but not at all in a good mood
    He was dumbfounded.
    Has no idea.
    Will take a look at it.
    Just dropped it off

I'm very bummed
    something major must really be wrong
    Mechanic said he set it to specs.
    Our duck season opens in 10 days.

Ringbill

2. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

Sounds to me like the belt tension was either too tight or you have issues in your clutch or lower outdrive. If you do not already own a belt tension gauge buy one now never trust a shop. Setting the tension on these belts is nothing more than wrench work. One other note here belt tension too tight can cause major problems on your main bearings in your crank cover.... ask me how i know this... I can walk you thru any work needed on these machines, they are simple. I have torn quite a few down to a bare block and back again and have seen numerous issues on em. I would open up your bell housing cover and take a look. Almost sounds like your clutch went out instead of the belt snapping.

3. Ringbill

Hi there Kansas
    I had mine built with no clutch.
    I called mudbuddy & Micah said that tho they set the belt tension right, they probably didn't tight bolts & do the whole belt replacement procedure correctly. He asked me to have the mechanic call him on Monday, so I'll do that.
    They won't ever warranty a belt. I'm bummed about it all.

It ran great for 2 years, hitting bottom, rocks, stumps etc. I never new I had to have the belt checked & tightened periodically. I'm no mechanic.

4. Ringbill

The dealer put another new carbon fiber belt on it & I hit a deadhead & it broke right away. Both replacement belts just snapped in half. Mudbuddy thinks its the replacement belts-----no stretch, no give at all & a bit different than the 2 year old belt it came with.
    Stay tuned !

Ringbill