Dry fired my dang bow!

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by widgeon, Jul 8, 2018.

1. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

The third shot of my new bow. Thought the arrow was nocked solid, but it came off the string just as i released. Slung off the peep and the string loop came untied.
    Don't see any more damage, but what should I look for?

I'm taking into my bow shop before I shoot it, but just wondering if anyone else has had this much fun.

2. Waterfowler9

Waterfowler9 Refuge Member

I would take it to the bow shop. Chances are the bow is fine, but better to get it looked at before shooting. A buddy of mine did the same thing a few years ago. The strings came off the cams so it had to be put in a press at a local shop. Hoyt dry fires their bow 1500 times or something crazy like that, so i would think most bow companies today would be building bows that can withstand the abuse.

widgeon likes this.
  3. widgeon

I hope it's ok. I gotta start practicing. Season opens in about nine weeks!!!!!:eek:

4. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Take a cotton ball and run it along the limbs. It will usually catch some cotton even if its a small crack.

bird junkie likes this.
  5. widgeon

I've done that and looked over the whole bow with a magnifying glass. Nothing obvious so maybe I lucked out.

6. widgeon

Got my bow back in business! No damage, and look what showed up where I hunt!

Gotta start shooting

Bigun.jpg

7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Finally got my antlers from my first deer (163” worth) back from the taxidermist who was supposed to do a shoulder mount starting Nov of 2016. Taking it to a different guy Sunday that comes highly recommended but pricey.

widgeon likes this.