Dubs??????

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Chicken, Aug 30, 2018.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Agreed. Think about this- about half the hunters are doing worse than 2 birds/box and bringing the average down. I’ve personally seen guys shoot half a case and have 3 birds to show for it.

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I had a city cop take me dove hunting when I was about 16. When the birds started moving, I don't think he killed a bird out of the first two boxes he shot. He got up and walked out of the field saying he'd be back shortly. Maybe 30 minutes later he came back and started shooting lights out. Limit back then was 18 and I would guess he got his limit in another 2 boxes. We got back to the truck and he said he had to go get some aimin' oil. Well, on the way back home, he stopped where he got his aimin' oil and came back out with a pint and a couple of cokes. That was my first taste of likker, under age and by a cop! That friendship served me well when I got in a bind a couple of times later in my teen years.
    The best I ever did was 15 birds with 16 rounds but they were all candy shots coming straight at me at very close range, just loafing along.

3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I wish I could find enough birds to shoot half a case at. I can usually do it in about a box and a half give or take, depending on the day and how comfortable I am where I'm shooting. The best I ever did was when I was 18 shooting a BPS 20 I had just bought. Limit was 12 I shot 19 times. Probably would have killed the 12 with 15-16 shells but kept trying to kill a double which I never did.

4. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

My best day was in a good field, easy shots, 12 bird days... Went 10 for 10, then feathered the 11th bird and had to shoot it again. Choked on the last bird and whiffed 3x. Ended up 16 shots for 12 birds. Younger then too.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I think I just shot close to 3 boxes this evening to get a dozen. We were covered up with them and I couldn't hit squat!

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Doves are fun, challenging but a lot of shells a lot of laughs and a lot of frustraion. We hunted Res Goose on Sat. One big flock way in the distance. We were set up near a barn that had lots of pigeons. We got out of the hot blind that blocked what breeze we had and started popping pigeons. About every 3 jokes and two stories the flock would come back and circle. We had a few sets of dove fly by, laughing at the downed pigeons. 3 hours to go for your sorry arses....don’t laugh. By 11 we had our fill of fun, heat was building and theres something that happens to farm land in the summer. Its like someone suddenly turned up the dial on a gas stove and we’re sitting in the frying pan. No geese but the pigeons gave us an opportunity to get some rust cracked off our elbows. Glad I brought steel 6’s.

stevena198301 likes this.
  7. Fishun Injun

Fishun Injun Senior Refuge Member

Back when we had plenty of Dubs....I shot 200 rounds one afternoon and picked up 114....was 1978....I was 20 and a KILLA!!

callinfowl likes this.
  8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Did the family thing, and took my buddy's kid (who has never been hunting, nor heard a real gun fired before)… We practiced BB-gun safety a few times this summer, and he was eager to go...

My father and sister shot one end of the ranch, and I shot the other... Not as many birds as some years, more than others; my father and I managed 15 bird limits with some Euro's and my sister came close.

Daddy managed to get a limit plus some bonus Euro's in the chaos, and kids managed to have fun and get really, really dirty. Saidee was having trouble hitting dove with the BB-gun, so I let her use the 20 gauge...

doveopner-2018.jpg

Family breakfast:

upload_2018-9-3_9-29-43.png

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

There is a public area that is cut safflower by drawing only...

The first time I got drawn, we got out early (afternoon shoot, after it had been hunted in the morning). We killed our dove as they filtered in before the flight actually began... Once the flight got going, I have to say, it is one of the biggest concentrations of dove I have ever seen. You could literally continuously fire at close birds.

There were piles of spent shells that had to approach 1000 empties each from the morning (even though everyone is directed to pick up their empty casings).

We watched the antics while talking to the check-in ranger. He said there were as many birds in the morning, and the average was around 7 birds (10 bird limit). I believe the problem was that hunters could not physically carry enough ammunition to fill their limit.

And then to hear hunters checking out, and complaining that the birds in "this area are tough to hit."

I am not a wonderful shot, and dove are probably one of the most challenging birds to hit (especially in the second season when they have more developed fight feathers and are more hunter wary)… The limit now being 15, I am happy killing a limit within a box... I have gone over two boxes... Generally my shell average is about 2 shells/bird. I have been humbled by some dove shoots though....

10. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

I found that I shoot markedly better with high quality ammo. I spent years shooting promo ammo and needing 3-4 boxes of shells to get a limit. Then one day I got some of the old Activ shells made in West Virginia (maybe) and shot lights out and couldn't figure out why. That's when I learned that high antimony shot patterns better....

creedsduckman likes this.