Duck feet

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Ga_huntingpublic, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Ga_huntingpublic

Ga_huntingpublic Refuge Member

Hey everyone,
    Just finished up my first duck and wanted to ask what injection fluid you all reccomend for my upcoming birds, and if you have any advice for a newcomer when injecting the feet. I bought some "bird foot injection fluid" from the supply store online and followed the directions and the tutorials that I have found online as well. All the fluid seemed to run out as soon as I pulled the needle out of the feet, or it squirted out of a different hole almost immediately.. it seems like masters blend is what most people use and I was wondering if it works better because it sets up fast and dosent pour right back out after injecting? And where are you buying it from? I cant find it anywhere and the suppliers that have it listed for sale dont have any in stock? Did they go out of business? Anyways, thanks for all the help and threads geared towards getting us new guys going. I have really enjoyed it so far!

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member

I don't know why Masters Blend isn't available from supply companies as it always has been in my experience. I'm lucky to have it made fairly locally where I can buy it in gallon containers so no need to order it. I tried that "bird foot injection fluid" many years ago and had the same results as you. The Master's blend has worked well for me using a 3ml syringe and 21 or 22 ga needle, and like I said, easy to get. Formalin (formaldehyde x glycerin) is good, elmers glue x glycerin, freeze-drying.....there are many products/ways to try and find out what works for you. Most fluids will leak out of holes when injected so best to use feet without holes. I remove legs on waterfowl when skinning and wire/inject them a day prior to mounting. That way I can paint without masking off feathers and utilize more of an assembly line process as I do several mounts each week. I can wrap the string I use to secure the wire to the leg bone down onto the ankle area and tighten it so no fluid will leak out from the top. I drop the injected feet into a jar of lacquer thinner for awhile which helps set them quicker. Flying birds are obviously easier to do as I don't need to make them fit a base.

Ga_huntingpublic likes this.
  3. Ga_huntingpublic

I actually read about removing the feet but was reluctant to try it on my first bird because I thought I would have a hard time positioning them while they were off of the duck. I may just try it on the next one. I bought similar syrenges and needles to what you're using, so I guess I will keep searching for masters blend and hope I can find some and try something different next time. Thanks for the tips.

4. Grandfowl

Grandfowl Senior Refuge Member

The "talk the street" is that the company that makes Masters Blend discontinued making it. That's why its hard to find any. Could use any similar products like Smooth cast or another brand of liquid 2 part plastic. It would just be a learning curve to what ever is used. Brad gave you good advice on the rest of your question.

Ga_huntingpublic likes this.
  5. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member

Seems you may be correct. I tried calling the place that makes it today and the phone number is no longer valid. Shucks.... I could buy a gallon kit for the price of a quart kit in the catalogs.

6. Ga_huntingpublic

I decided to try smoothcast 300.. hope to be ready to use it on my next bird in a few days. I also finally ordered an airbrush and some paint so hopefully my next attempt will be forward progress!