Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Duck/Goose hunting near Fort Boise in January?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by pc500, Dec 4, 2017.

1. pc500

pc500 New Member

It's been a while since I've been hunting in Idaho. My last time was out at the Parma WMA in ~2009 and this photos shows the success of our group at that time. We waded out to a small island 10 feet from shore and blasted away.

It's been a decade since I've been out hunting waterfowl, but I'd like to go out again this year, preferably to the same Parma/Fort Boise WMA. The only problem is I won't have free time on the schedule until January and this looks like the end of the season.

Will there still be viable hunting remaining the first or second week of January? Is there any reason this is a horrible idea?

On a side note, is there an area suitable without a dog? Last time my buddies dog pulled them out of the water for us. I can wade and get them to a point, but not in the middle of the pond.

On a side note, I am no longer an Idaho resident but I did purchase a lifetime hunting license before I left. All I would need to obtain is the duck stamp and this is federal, correct?

Thanks for your feedback!

Attached Files:

2. woodsboy

woodsboy Refuge Member

You will also need a state migratory bird stamp ( not a stamp ) added to your license. Costs a 1.75. don't forget it.Good luck.

woodsboy

3. Mikebig1

Mikebig1 Senior Refuge Member

river has changed a lot, if you have not been there lately..unless you hunt the ponds... better scout it first before you commit.. get there early on wknds.. you will have competition..at least the pheasant hunters wont be bothering you..lol

4. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

And people wonder why most of us have stopped posting on here.....

5. Mikebig1

Mikebig1 Senior Refuge Member

used to be a place we could to post stuff here, back in the day... but the trolling got to be a real problem..besides ponds wont be huntable anyways in January, they probably be frozen by then

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

7. pc500

pc500 New Member

Thank you very much. re:trolling comment - I hope I didn't say anything wrong!

I drove around Canyon country / Start / Kuna area this weekend and there appears to be an open place on the end of an airstrip, called airport. I've seen people down there (I've flown into said airport). Is this any good?

We'll give it a try, I don't expect to get anything. I'm guessing the limit-out in 2 hours experience I had at the Fort Boise WMA the first time I went hunting was an abnormality. There were three ponds and we waded out to the island on one of them. It was crowded, but nobody wanted to get wet, I guess, so if the people on the edges didn't blast at them while they were way up in the air (Typically missing) , they flew right over to us.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017 at 4:58 PM
  8. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

You join up and post only to get some intel on where to hunt. You didn't come on here to contribute or join in discussions. Just internet scout.